What is made of a plastic bottle?
The glass plastic bottle was replaced by a glass bottlestill in the USSR, when in 1974 the company "PepsiCo" opened a plant in Novorossiysk to produce lemonade. Since then, almost half a century has passed, and now once the fashionable bottle has become ordinary. What is made of a plastic bottle or what helped it to supplant the traditional glass and take the first position as a container for liquids.
Despite the fact that plastic loses to glass in matters relating to long-term storage and environmental friendliness, it has a number of undeniable advantages:
- The weight of a half-liter plastic bottle is 28 grams, while the analog of glass weighs 350 grams;
- the main advantage is that it is cheaper in production than glass or aluminum. At the same time, the barrier properties remain at the level;
- PET is more attractive from an aesthetic point of view, because it is transparent and has the appearance of "absolutely clean" containers;
- if desired, this bottle can be painted in any color, without bearing tangible costs in production;
- they do not break and can be completely processed as secondary raw materials.
A bottle of PET, even when the product freezes inside it, does not collapse and retains its barrier properties.
PET is an abbreviation for the name of the polymer -polyethylene terephthalate. Actually, this is all that the plastic bottle is made of. This polymer is also known as lavsan. PET (in the manufacture of PET) is a polyester with good thermoplastic properties. This is what made it possible to produce bottles by blowing. The composition of PET includes terephthalic acid (hardly soluble even in water) and ethylene glycol. As a result of the chemical reaction, a hard, strong, light, non-toxic material without color and odor is produced - polyethylene terephthalate.