What apple tree to plant?
When a horticultural professional selects an apple tree forHis garden, he usually thinks in this way. Fruits should look attractive, that is, they should be bought. The harvest should be abundant, the tree should give birth every year. The shape of the apple tree should correspond to the accepted shape of the crown. The tree should well tolerate the climate of this region.
A gardener thinks like this:
- in my garden there should be summer, winter and autumn varieties;
- fruits should be juicy and tasty;
- fruits should be long and well kept;
- the tree should be as sick as possible;
- care for the tree should not be difficult;
- the garden should look nice;
Gardener amateur, expects from the apple tree not onlyreliable growth, stable yield and disease resistance, but also delicious apples. So which apple tree should you plant? This question is very difficult to answer, because each person likes this or that kind of apples. You can conduct an ordinary experiment. In a large family, for winter it is necessary to prepare a sufficient number of apples of different varieties, and then simply observe which variety will end the fastest.
Another point is the climatic conditions, because there are apples of southern varieties that will grow, not in all regions. Somewhere they are generally frozen, well, somewhere just do not have time to finish.
Here is a list of both tasty and normal varieties that grow in our region:
- Kids Orange Red,
- Golden Delicious,
- Glory to the Winners,
Let's look at the description of apple varieties separately.
Summer apple varieties
- Melba. A variety characteristic of late summer, dessert, fruits of medium size, weighing 80-120 grams, yellow-greenish, flesh white, dense, sweetly sour. Fruits for 3-5 years after planting, resistance to diseases is average, winter hardiness is average.
- White filling. Fruits are conically roundish in shape, medium in size, greenish-yellow in color, with a thin skin. Fruits well, average frost resistance, fructifies after 2-3 years on dwarf species, and for 5-6 years on tall ones.
Autumn varieties of apple trees
- Childs Orange ed. The variety is autumn, the fruits are harvested at the end of August. The variety is characterized by high yield. Fruits are above average, about 150 grams, conical, yellow with striped blush, fragrant, excellent taste. Sometimes they burst right on the tree, which is the only drawback.
- Mac. The variety is rather late, the fruits are medium, there is a large size, flattened, green with red blush. Flesh is white, juicy, with a taste of sweets. The yield is average, but stable, the yield of fruits is high. Trees are medium-sized, frost-resistant is medium.
Winter apple varieties
- Golden Delicious. Winter variety of apples, fruits weighing 130-190 grams, elongated-conical, yellow-greenish with brown soils, flesh of light yellow color, juicy, sweet and sour, high yield, frost resistance average.
- Gloucester. The variety is characterized by stable fruit bearing, winter hardiness, resistance to diseases, good fruit transportability. The fruits are large, about 200 grams, round-conical, ribbed. The flesh is dense, light yellow, juicy, sweet and sour taste.
If you are wondering what kind of apple tree to plant,put them all in a little. For example, for a large family, you can plant 2-3 varieties of summer apple, 3-4 varieties of autumn, and 5-6 varieties of winter, experiment with varieties of fruits and varieties, plant both sour and sweet fruits, fruits of different colors, differing in density of pulp from hard to soft varieties). Also consider frost resistance, transportability and the duration of storage of apples.