Trimesters at school in the 2018-2019 school year
The distribution of school time into trimesters is a relatively new approach for Russian schools in planning the process of teaching schoolchildren. Its main principle is that equal periods of study during the year alternate with weekly rest. According to psychologists and educators, this approach allows students to avoid overwork due to an even distribution of workload, which is especially important in elementary school.
School year division
In the traditional educational system, the year is divided into 4 quarters, each of which lasts 2-3 months and ends with holidays (up to 10 days). The exceptions are the New Year holidays, for which students receive an approximately two-week break in school, as well as a summer holiday of 3 months.
Under the terms of the trimester system, the school year is evenly divided into 6 school and the same number of vacation periods. The duration of each trimester is usually 5 (sometimes 6) weeks, and the rest time after them is 1 week.Thus, the process of education by semesters is cyclical, but as an exception, only New Year's holiday is planned: it has the same duration as in schools with more familiar training in quarters. The duration of rest of schoolchildren in the summer remains unchanged.
The Ministry of Education annually makes adjustments to the educational process 6 months before the start of the school year, therefore, it will be possible to find out accurate information about the trimester schedule in 2018-2019 no earlier than March 2018. An approximate schedule can be drawn up according to the formula “5 (6) +1”, where five (six) weeks of study alternate with a week of rest. As a result, the following school trimester dates for 2018-2019 are obtained:
- 1st: September 1 - October 6;
- 2nd: October 14 - November 17;
- 3rd: November 25 - December 29.
- 4th: January 9 - February 15;
- 5th: February 25 - April 5;
- 6th: April 15 - May 31.
Triple holidays 2018-2019
Despite the lack of exact vacation dates in 2018-2019, with the trimester education system, it is already possible to estimate tentatively when students will begin their vacation every semester, guided by past experience and taking into account public holidays that are marked in the calendar as non-working.
So, consider how the holidays will be distributed in the school in 2018-2019 by trimester:
- In the first autumn vacation will last from 8 to 14 October.
- In the second rest is scheduled from 19 to 25 November.
- In the third school students waiting for "extended" rest, which begins December 29, 2018 and ends January 8, 2019
- The fourth holiday will begin on February 18th and end on the 24th.
- In the fifth vacation time is indicated from April 8 to 14.
- In the sixth, students receive the longest and most anticipated summer vacation from June 1 to August 31.
This distribution of holidays for schools with a trimester form of education in 2018-2019 will help schoolchildren and their parents to plan in advance personal activities, especially when long journeys or other significant events are coming. But it should be borne in mind that with the given dates are indicative, since the school leadership has the right to adjust the vacation time for 1-2 weeks.
Recommendations of the Ministry of Education
In accordance with the order of the Ministry of Education, each school institution independently chooses both the training system (quarter or trimester) and the dates of vacation time.At the same time there are mandatory requirements that should be followed on this issue:
- Holidays should begin on the first day of the week - Monday.
- The start date cannot be shifted by more than 2 weeks.
- The total number of days of rest for schoolchildren should not be less than 30 (excluding summer holidays).
Thus, the school management independently determines the days of the beginning and end of the rest periods for its students, without departing from the general provisions of the Ministry of Education.
Possible deviations of terms
At schoolchildren from different cities of Russia, holidays do not always coincide in dates and duration. Regional departments of education have the right to adjust the timing of the educational process and rest in subordinate schools, which may be due to different reasons:
- The deterioration of weather conditions (severe frosts, floods, etc.).
Note: During frosts below 25 ° C, classes for elementary school pupils cease, after -28 ° C for high school, and at -30 ° C for high school students. Additionally, the wind speed is also taken into account, which enhances the action of frosty air, which provokes severe frostbite.
- Insufficient air temperature directly in the classrooms. According to the norms of the Ministry of Education it is prohibited to conduct classes in classes where the temperature is below 18 ° C.
- Epidemics of influenza and other diseases in which the threshold is exceeded the permissible threshold of morbidity (more than 30% of the total number of students), which requires the closure of the school to quarantine.
If such extreme breaks take only a few days, they usually do not affect the pace of learning the school curriculum. But if the force majeure conditions are delayed for a week or longer, the school management will be forced to reduce the duration or shift the dates of school holidays.