The child has constipation: what to do?
Watch the video
Most mothers often face problemsconstipation or, conversely, an intestinal disorder in a child. Do not be frightened to find a child's constipation. What to do in this case depends on the age of the child.
What to consider a constipation
Constipation is the inability of the body to empty the intestine itself for a certain period of time, the duration of which changes with the child's age:
- in a baby up to 3 months of age inIdeally, the amount of defecation should correspond to the number of feeds. This applies to children who are breastfeeding their mother. Children - "artificial" at this age is allowed to empty the bowels at least 2 times a day;
- starting from the 4th month, the norm is 1-2 emptying a day;
- after a year the child should be observed daily bowel movement. With a normal consistency of stool, bowel emptying is permissible every other day.
About constipation can also be judged by the number andthe state of stool. In the first months of life, a stool in the form of gruel is considered normal, and the stool is a sign of constipation. From 6 months to 1.5 years, both forms are acceptable in the presence of a regular stool. After two years, the child should have a regular designed chair.
Types of constipation
In most cases, childhood constipation is associated with violations of intestinal motility and are divided into two main types:
- Atonic constipation. It is associated with a violation of the contractile function of the intestine. Characterized by the lack of desires for emptying, a rare stool and a large amount of stool.
- Spastic constipation. It occurs as a result of intestinal spasms. Its symptoms are a stool in the form of solid pellets and abdominal pain.
The causes of constipation in children
Only having established the reason of a constipation, it is possible to cope with this problem. Violation of the stool in infants who consume breast milk, may be the following reasons:
- malnutrition of the nursing mother;
- "Hungry" constipation as a result of lack of breast milk;
- lactose insufficiency;
- insufficient amount of liquid in the diet;
- early introduction of complementary foods or transition to artificial feeding;
- bait on natural cow or goat milk.
By the second year of life, constipation can occur onthe background of the physiological rearrangements of the organism (the growth of the milk teeth, the lengthening of the intestine due to a change in diet), and psychological problems in connection with the practice of defecation in the pot.
First aid for constipation
Some parents panic and do not know whatto do with a child's constipation. If these are isolated cases, it is necessary to help the child to empty the intestines with an enema. To do this, take a glass of boiled water at room temperature and add 1-2 teaspoons of glycerin.
Alternatively, you can useglycerin suppositories. Up to a year, use a third of the candle, up to three years - half, after three years - a candle completely. It is not recommended to use candles with glycerine too often.
The Microlax enema proved to be very useful. It acts directly on the rectum and dilutes the stool masses. Mikrolaks is completely harmless and can be used from the first days of a baby's birth.
In no case do you need to apply folk methods in the form of a piece of soap or irritate the anus with foreign objects. You can alleviate pain symptoms with the help of a massage of the stomach.
In some cases, only medical assistance is needed: with severe pain and symptoms of intoxication, blood separation from the anus.
Treatment and prevention of children's constipation
Every parent should know the answers to suchquestions: How to treat constipation? How to treat constipation in children? Treatment of constipation in a nursing infant for up to a year consists in correcting the mother's diet during breastfeeding and selecting the mixture for artificial feeding. It is recommended to increase its motor activity, do a tummy massage and spread the baby on the stomach. Between the feedings you can give sweetened water.
To an older child to adjust the work of the intestinewill help properly compiled menu. A relaxing diet with constipation is an important link in the fight against baby constipation. First of all, it is necessary to exclude from the diet food provoking a thickening of the stool (rice porridge, dough products, bananas, whole milk) and the formation of gases (cabbage, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes). Peristalsis of the intestine is weakened by kissels, tea, cocoa, blueberries. In the diet must include sour-milk products. As much as possible, give the child purified not boiled water.
Medicamental treatment of constipation should be prescribed only by a doctor after examination and finding out the reasons for regular problems with bowel movement.