Socket with switch in one case: how to connect the socket with the switch
Combining the power point and the device that controls the lighting devices allows you to efficiently organize the power supply of residential or office space. Agree, it is much more convenient if the electrical fittings are grouped and not randomly “scattered” around the room.
In addition to strong ergonomic advantages, this technical solution has a lot of design advantages. However, it also makes you think about how the socket with a switch in one case is connected to the power grid. In our article you will find answers to all the complex and simple questions that arise during the installation of such a unit.
We present exhaustive information on installation methods and methods of connecting block electrical devices. Subtleties and nuances are highlighted in the photo-compilation and video, clearly demonstrating the specifics of the work. Such a powerful information support will help to "perfectly" cope with the task.
Connecting sockets with a switch for 1-3 keys
Since then, when the wires from the switch connected to the electrical circuit, do not understand how, and in some cases even at random, it took quite a bit of time. It is noticed that in the old houses and buildings a sufficient number of devices were attached in violation of many safety requirements.
Yes, such an approach did not affect the performance of the components in any way. Everything is functioning normally, only the safety of operation of such devices remains in question.
Every year, the safety of funds and space savings remain priority factors. That is why, in order to reduce the number of wires and used space on the wall, manufacturers of electrical appliances combined several devices in a single design.
The combination of one- and two-button switches with a socket increases the ultimate efficiency and comfortable use of such electrical equipment.
# 1: Ways to connect the power switch socket
There are several ways to join a merged block. This feature has become available relatively recently. Previously, it was impossible to find in the house various electrical equipment in a single package with different options.
The method of connecting the switch and outlet was carried out by connecting the wiring in the box, but without mixing the devices themselves. This method is used today, if for certain reasons consumers cannot be installed next to each other.
At the same time, the variant of unpaired connection of the structure also has its advantages. Consider them below:
- Such devices are publicly available. Buying even a cheap switch with a socket will make it possible to connect them in one circuit.
- Work on the connection of these electrical devices can be performed easily even with your own hands.
- The increased level of security when using separately connected mechanisms, since the wiring to them is laid separately, which reduces the likelihood of a short circuit.
So why in recent years in homes give preference to special units, where the combination of sockets and switches laid down by the supplier. And all because such a plan to connect the device is more lightweight. Firstly, there is no need to lay two separate cables to the devices. Secondly, the advantages of such a unit are much greater than those of the separated ones.
Here are some of them:
- Simplified transfer of such a unit to another place. Now there is no need to lay two separate postings.
- It is no longer necessary to measure the height twice during the installation of the above described fixture, since it is one unit.
- High-quality appliances can be used outdoors and outdoors.
- The combined unit is easier to install on surfaces made of concrete, stone, wood and drywall.
The main disadvantage of the connected unit is that it is impossible to replace one part if it breaks. It does not matter the network socket or switch.Almost always need a full replacement. New units are made with a one-, two- or three-button switch, which is combined with a socket in a single piece.
Consider the step-by-step process of replacing the switch-socket block system:
Having completed the dismantling of the old device and preparing the wiring, proceed to the installation and connection of the new unit from the outlet with a switch.
# 2: Connecting and switching an outlet through a switch
There is a specific sequence of how to connect a power outlet with a switch in a solid design.An elementary way to connect wires from the network is to connect them to devices on a clear plan in the distribution box.
The algorithm of works given below will tell you how to correctly connect the socket with the switch united in the block:
- For the indoor unit, a special hole is prepared in the wall, and for the external one - a suitable space for installation is selected. For premises in wooden buildings often use the overhead coupled mechanisms with combined electrical units. This method is used, for example, with open wiring.
- The distribution box has six (6) cores of incoming electrical cables. One pair for the socket, the second from the switch, and the third - for the switchboard. Each pair is a phase and zero conductors. Most often in homes you can see the additional ground wire.
- First of all, we define the phase that goes from the switchboard and de-energize the room.
- The next step is to connect the cable with the phase from the mains to the wire going to the switch. It is necessary to strip the ends of the phase cores, then twist them together and isolate them.Electrical tape is used for this.
- Further, the zero core of the network must be connected to the wire from the outlet. We also wrap them with insulating material.
- The unused edges of the wires from the combined unit are also twisted with each other and must be rewound with tape.
- This connection scheme will provide the connection of the phase cable of the outlet through the switch. The effectiveness of this method is noticed when the network socket is very rarely used, and the connected devices need to be constantly on / off.
The mechanism combined in a single body is relatively simple. The phase is supplied to the socket through the switch if the switch is turned on. Such a scheme is popular, for example, if you need to heat water in a heater that does not have its own off / on button, and you do not feel like pulling the plug all the time.
Another way is to connect the lighting in the utility room through an extension cord. Then you can turn it off just using a one-button switch.
# 3: Installation of connected sockets with a switch
Combined construction units combined in a single package are in great demand. The main factor is that both devices will be used separately. A number of simple steps are taken to install such a wall outlet and a lamp switch.
- Cables with zero and phase to the distribution box are laid from the main panel.
- The box should contain five (5) wires - two (2) from the lamp and three (3) from the block that combines the individual devices.
- The phase core of the shield must be connected to the wire from the outlet. Using a jumper to connect the socket with a terminal on the switch.
- The zero conductor from the electrical network must be connected to the wire with zero from the lamp and the outlet.
- Phase cables running from the cartridge to the switch, you need to twist and be sure to isolate.
- Grounding is also connected using the appropriate cable.
Such a scheme with a socket and a switch combined in a single package will work separately from the switch. And the main functions of the single-key knife switch (on / off of the electric lamp) will also be performed independently.
# 4: Attaching an outlet with a two-button switch
Most often, the unit that connects the socket and double-key switch, is installed between the entrance to the toilet and bathroom. Alternatively, it can be installed in a large room to supply voltage to one or three light sources. Conclusion: thanks to a single unit, the user can control the light in several rooms at once, as well as plug into the outlet any device that consumes electricity.
Consider the connection scheme of the combined device, consisting of 7 steps:
- The first stage is laying of five (5) conductors from the distribution box to the dual electrical system.
- From the switchboard, the cores with zero and grounding are connected only to the socket.
- Thanks to a special jumper in the connecting unit, the phase is fed to the dual disconnecting device.
- Both free conductors are connected to the two connecting nodes of the knife switch, through which the phase is supplied to the lighting devices in the bathroom and the toilet.
- It is necessary to twist the cables with a phase (from the switch) with free conductors (from lamp holders) in the toilet and bathroom.
- In the sorting box, the cable with "0", as well as the ground wire from the outlet must be twisted with the bare ends of the twists from the lighting.
- There are cases when the order of the keys on the switch must be changed. For this, the conductors on the switching contacts that supply voltage to the lamps in the bathroom and the washroom are simply swapped.
It turns out that the connection circuit combined with a single-and two-key switch with a socket, differs only in the amount of time spent and the number of wires. For a one-button switch, four (4) cables are used, and for a two-key switch, five (5) conductors are used. Both options include grounding.
# 5: Installation of the unit with a socket and three-key switch
Three-button switch with a socket is used for greater energy savings. In recent years, it is in great demand among electricians, specialists and ordinary people.
Earlier, three-button switches with a socket were installed only in panel houses. Their main purpose was to control the light in the kitchen, bathroom and toilet. But the network jack provided for domestic purposes - connecting a hair dryer, electric shaver, vacuum cleaner and other appliances. Much time has passed since then, most of them need to be replaced.
Modern planning and design capabilities allow the use of a three-button shutdown device as the main control link of several light sources for one room. Among them:
- additional light sources;
This method saves a person from the need to connect lamps with a lack of lighting. On the other hand, it protects a person from excessive volume of light in the room and allows him to be muffled. Illumination control remains under your complete control, thanks to one single switch.
In addition to convenience, such a three-key block adorns the room. Agree that a solid block with a socket looks more aesthetically pleasing than three separate ones. In addition, the amount of time spent and the effort to install it is much less.
Three-key device, as a rule, is mounted in the premises of this type:
- in the place where multi-level lighting is planned;
- in rooms with a large area and complex shape;
- in narrow and long transitional rooms;
This switch is also mounted to control the lighting in several rooms, such as a toilet, bathroom and hallway, from a single place. It can also be used in workrooms to illuminate a particular desktop.
The configuration of the device with the socket is not much different from the usual three-button switch. The zero wire that goes straight to the outlet is the main difference.
Previously, this design could cause inconvenience. The passage of time has changed this rule. Since the fashion for the location of switches has changed significantly, the installation of the socket above the baseboard, and the switch at a distance of 800–900 mm from the floor, becomes a practically unclaimed option.
There are several rules when choosing a switch. Then it will serve longer and not cause discomfort. Here are the main ones:
- the keys do not sink;
- do not make extraneous sounds when pressed;
- the inner part of the switch contains its wiring diagram;
- smooth and even surface.
Also, attention should be paid to the degree of security of the device - this is the IP code on the package. The first figure reflects the level of protection against dust, the second - from moisture. The value and effectiveness is indicated from zero (0 - no protection) to six (6 - the highest level of protection).
For example, when installing a switch on a stove or in a shower room, you need to purchase a device with IP 44. If it is a street, protection level is 65. When installing a switch in a rest room, the IP 20 value will suffice.
When commissioning a switch with a socket, it is difficult to do without certain tools, such as:
- pliers for clamping and gripping parts;
- stripper to remove insulation from the edge of the wire;
- flat and Phillips screwdrivers.
The installation scheme of the three-button switch also differs little from the connection of a two- or one-button device.
Consider them again:
- Before starting work, you need to make sure that the network is completely de-energized.
- Zero and phase cables must be distributed.
- Check the phase with a special screwdriver with indicator.
- Connect the cable to the distribution box.
- Test the connection.
An important skill during installation is the skill of finding a cable with zero and phase. Usually, a certain wire has its own color. The zero core is blue, and the phase is black or red.
To determine the phase there are several ways. Its presence will be prompted by an indicator on a screwdriver or a simple incandescent bulb. The first option is preferable because it is simpler. For the second method, the lamp must be screwed into the cartridge, and alternately short the output wires. When the cable is at zero phase, the light bulb shines brighter.
Conclusions and valuable recommendations
To purchase one-, two-, three-key knife switches with a socket is not a difficult process. But, as practice shows, not everyone can understand the connection plan. Therefore, this article appeared. Now independently carry out the installation, and even more so the replacement of the switch with the socket has become much easier.
Finally, a few recommendations. In the process of dismantling the old block, it is better to sign each disconnected wire. This will significantly save time on the connection and immediately figure out where to connect which wire.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Carrying out these manipulations can also be viewed in video format. They experienced experts will explain and show the correct connection of all the above blocks.
How to connect the socket and switch:
Reliable electrician in the house or apartment: we connect correctly:
Repair unit with a two-button switch and socket:
Remember, if this article and the video did not give you a clear idea of how to connect the switches, or you have never come across electrical equipment, pleaseconsult a professional to avoid electric shocks or short circuits.