Selection criteria and the best types of odorless paint for radiators
Radiators of the heating system require constant maintenance and maintaining a normal appearance. They appear rust, yellow spots, cracks, spoiling any interior. That is why it is necessary to choose a quality paint without smell for radiators. There are many options for products of different colors, consistency and composition, so finding a suitable option is not difficult.
There are many products that differ in cost, composition and other criteria. When choosing, it is not always possible to count on the seller’s advice, thereforebetter learn a few rules:
- The most important point is the composition of the product. If paint is selected from a European manufacturer, it must comply with European standards.Domestic should be marked with GOST, which indicates high quality and relative safety for humans. Some companies produce goods marked TU. Acquire it is not recommended.
- The second selection criterion is good thermal stability. As a rule, the indicator is indicated on the package and should not be below +80 degrees, and it is better to exceed it. Otherwise, cracks may occur when the radiator is first heated.
- When used indoors, it is better to choose a quick-drying, odorless paint. For batteries in the room where the child is located, this would be an ideal option.
- It is recommended to choose a composition with anti-corrosion properties, which will prevent the negative influence of external factors on the metal. Such a product will be more resistant and for a few years will extend battery life.
- It is strongly not recommended to choose a paint with a pungent smell, especially for residential premises. Such fumes are extremely harmful to the body.
- Coloring composition should be moisture resistant. This is necessary for the smooth conduct of wet cleaning and decontamination from the radiator.
- Paint should not interfere with good heat dissipation of the battery. Some companies produce products that after application creates a thick layer and reduces the efficiency of space heating.
It is necessary to take into account the material from which the batteries are made. Taking into account all the criteria, choosing the best option is not difficult.
Varieties of Coloring Formulations
On the market there are several types of paints. Some of them are designed for outdoor use, others for indoor use. Separate view - universal formulations for coloring in all conditions.
A few years ago, the only option for painting radiators was oil paint. It is universal, suitable for all surfaces, heat-resistant and creates a covering, durable layer, keeps well. However, today it is used very rarely, because it has many drawbacks.
The most significant is considered to be an unpleasant and very pungent odor, which not only accompanies the dyeing process, but can also appear when the radiators are very hot. Thesefumes are very toxic to humansand can cause poisoning.In addition, the oil composition creates a dense layer on the surface of the battery, which reduces heat transfer.
If white color is used, then over time it turns yellow, it can flake off and crack. Applying a uniform layer is difficult, especially on an uneven surface. Oil paints are also characterized by long drying, and also poorly protect the radiator from corrosion. Despite this, the product is still used in case of emergency.
Such coloring compositions are quite popular because they have a heat resistance, protect radiators from negative environmental factors, do not turn yellow with time and do not exfoliate. Available in different colors, which allows you to choose a shade for each interior. As a rule, the permissible heating temperature of the composition is indicated on the packaging. Despite the many advantages, the composition has some drawbacks.
The first is considered a sharp and unpleasant odor that accompanies the staining procedure, as well as released when the battery is very hot.Alkyd enamels dry for a long time, and if necessary, apply several layers of the process can take several days.Similar products are used more often than oil paints and are more expensive.
Unscented acrylic enamel for radiators is ideal. When buying, you need to pay attention to the indicator of heat resistance, because not every product can withstand high temperatures.
In the process of dyeing, the composition does not emit toxic substances and it takes only 30–90 minutes to dry a thin layer. When coated with a second layer, 4–5 hours are sufficient. It is important to prevent the ingress of moisture to the radiator to completely dry the paint. Another advantage of this composition is its thickness and ease of application, it almost does not spread, which facilitates the process of dyeing.
The only drawback of acrylic enamel is the instability to external negative influences. It is also quite expensive, so many prefer other paints.
Odorless silicone radiator paints allow you to paint even an unprepared surface and achieve a good result. This is due to the increased stability of the composition and the ability to withstand even a critical temperature increase in batteries. This is possible due to the unique chemical composition, which includes silicone and resin.
The paint is very resistant to mechanical stress, moisture and other factors, which ensures durability. When coated with a silicone compound, the radiators acquire a semi-gloss shine. There are several colors, so it is possible to choose an option that emphasizes the design of the room. The only disadvantage of silicone paint is the high cost. That is why some prefer cheaper products.
Powder paints are considered the most durable for the treatment of radiators. Consist of powder and special additives. They are mixed and poured into the device for spraying the composition. Apply it in an apartment or a private house will not work, becauseYou must follow a few rules:
- availability of expensive equipment for spraying, as well as skills to work with it;
- providing a constant voltage for applying the composition;
- carrying out the procedure in a special chamber, where, after the procedure, the temperature regime is created that is necessary for the polymerization of the composition, and its performance can reach + 170-350 degrees.
The exact figure is usually indicated on the packaging and depends on the requirements for the specific product. That is why it is impossible to conduct such staining in houses.The only option would be to contact a specialist who will perform the work under production conditions.
Matte and glossy
In addition to the basic classification, all coloring compositions are divided into matte and glossy. If you wish, you can choose any color and make the radiator a stylish addition to any interior. For example, old cast iron batteries usually have bumps and other defects, so the use of gloss paints will allow them to hide a little and even the surface.
For new radiators without flaws are allowed to choose any option. Matte paint on old heating devices will lead to rapid contamination of the surface, and get rid of it will turn out only through new staining.
It is worth knowing that some manufacturers add chalk to matte paints, but this is unacceptable. Such a product is less resistant and will quickly turn yellow. Titanium dioxide is considered an essential component of the composition. Substance ensures the preservation of white color throughout the entire period of operation.
On the market there are many colors from different manufacturers.The price and quality of them is different, but everyone can choose for themselves the suitable option.The most popular are:
- Silicone paint Tikkurila is expensive, but it is of high quality, durability, odorless and easy to apply. It is not as popular as the others, but is considered a good alternative to powder dye compositions.
- The Russian company TEKS produces an odorless acrylic paint. For radiators, it fits perfectly, the cost is moderate, and durability is pretty good. Allowed for use in residential premises, harmless to adults and children. The composition can be used for dyeing batteries in children's and medical institutions. The paint is semi-gloss and is available in white. If you need to get a different shade, you can purchase a special dye that is added to the base. The products of this company is laid flat, almost does not drain and dries quickly.
- The German company DUFA produces alkyd paint designed specifically for painting radiators. It is allowed to use it for cast-iron and steel models, as well as for bimetallic.It is applied evenly and almost does not flow down, forming a protective layer on the surface that prevents the formation of corrosion areas. Maintains temperature to +120 degrees. Over time, does not turn yellow and remains the same glossy.
- Polish paint Snowball is considered a fairly high-quality product and is often used for processing radiators in apartments and private houses. It is made on acrylic base and is characterized by a rich and bright white color. If necessary, you can add any pigment. The disadvantage is a low heat resistance, amounting to only +80 degrees.
- DULUX products are manufactured in the UK. Acrylic-based paint is odorless and dries quickly. Designed not only for the treatment of radiators, but also for furniture. When applied, it creates on the surface a protective layer that does not lose its luster until the moment of new coloring.
With proper preparation of radiators, any composition will be applied smoothly and will create a good protective layer. It is better to carry out the procedure in the summer. If this is not possible, it is recommended to shut off the hot water supply before painting and wait several hours for the batteries to cool down.
The surface must be dry and clean.If the old coating exfoliates, it is necessary to clean it in places where it is possible. If there are rust on the radiator, it is recommended to use a special wire brush that will remove plaque without harm to the structure. Before applying the coloring composition is better to use a special primer, which will improve the distribution of paint and prevent rapid exfoliation.
After the preparatory stage is allowed to proceed directly to the staining. You can use any convenient brush that will paint over hard to reach areas. Before applying the paint should be thoroughly mixed, and the floors under the radiator and next to it should be covered with paper or film.
Apply the composition is better in 2-3 layers in order to ensure a strong and durable coating. It is recommended to leave each layer until completely dry, otherwise detachment is possible after a short period of time. If the rules are not followed during the preparatory stage, the coverage may be uneven.
Radiator paint allows you to maintain the appearance of the device and prolongs its service life by creating a resistant protective coating.