Recipes kebab and marinade for meat: meet the May holidays fully armed
The fact that shashlik is a dish of Caucasian cuisine is remembered less and less today. This meat delicacy so firmly rooted on our tables, so much it took from our cuisine and culture that it can rightly be called one of the favorite Russian dishes, a symbol of the May holidays. Without it, not a single foray into nature. Let's understand the main secrets and tricks of cooking kebabs, master its most delicious recipes, and we will cook it all better.
The main thing in the article
How to cook shashlik: 5 secrets of tasty meat
Barbecue is meat cooked on the fire. And in order to make it truly tasty, you need to know some secrets that are not secrets at all, but common truths for cooking this dish in nature.
- You must choose the right meat: whether it is pork, lamb, veal, chicken or turkey, the meat must be fresh,it is better that it does not freeze before cooking, it is gentle, with small fat layers to give it juiciness.
- Meat must be properly cut. “Perfect” is considered to be shish kebab from meat, cut into identical pieces of about 4 to 4 cm: they are easily and evenly roasted on the grill, so that the meat is not too dry and evenly cooked.
- Cooking kebabs involves marinating meat: whether it is the simplest marinade consisting of onion, salt and pepper, or immersing meat in wine or complex sauces - only marinated meat has the right to be called the right kebab.
Tip: whatever method of marinating meat is chosen, it is important not to overdo it with spices, so as not to overshadow the unique taste of fresh meat with smoke.
- Pieces of meat should be properly strung on a skewer. It is important that the meat does not hang down, and located along the skewer. It is not necessary to set the pieces too tightly, so that they also redden from the side. Professionals do not recommend alternating meat with pieces of vegetables on skewers, however, we rarely can do without onion rings, which separate one piece of meat from another. This gives the dish spice.
- The kebab should be cooked on the “right grill”: it’s better if it is cast iron and the distance from meat to coal is about 15-17 cm. If the coals start to burn, they should not be watered. It is better to sprinkle them with salt: it not only will not allow the fire to flare up, but also prevent the burning out of the meat, the fat.
Meat skewers should be regularly turned every 1.5-2 minutes so that each piece of meat is cooked evenly.
How to cook shish kebab from pork, chicken, beef?
After the meat for shish kebab is chosen and properly sliced, the question arises about the delicious marinade for it. A suitable marinade directly depends on what kind of meat is chosen for the kebab - pork, chicken or beef:
- Pork can be processed with many types of marinade, however, pickles based on onion, wine, dry wine, kefir, mayonnaise, lemon or vinegar, beer, as well as natural fruit juices such as apple, pomegranate or tomato are most suitable.
- for chicken kebabs, mainly its fat parts are selected; for refined taste, chicken meat is often pickled with the addition of a large amount of herbs: thyme, rosemary, and ginger, garlic, turmeric, and nutmeg.
Do not be afraid that these spices will overshadow the taste of chicken meat: they only emphasize it and form a crispy, appetizing crust on it. You can reach the spicy chicken kebab by adding a little alcohol to the marinade, such as whiskey or gin, as well as pickling chicken in a sweet-sour or tomato sauce.
- Veal is famous for its softness and barely noticeable smell of milk. To emphasize the taste of meat, pickle beef is better in soy sauce, lemon juice or lime. To add spicy flavor to meat and taste variety, dried herbs such as cardamom, mint, basil, juniper, as well as mustard beans and garlic are used.
Moderation is the main rule when cooking kebabs. This applies both to the use of spices in marinating meat, and the very preparation of meat on charcoal: it is important not to overdo the meat, so that it turns out to be soft, fragrant and retains its juiciness.
How to choose meat for shish kebab?
In order for the kebab to turn out tasty and tender, it is especially important to approach the choice of meat for it.
Someone recommends to choose for this dish only fresh, “fresh” meat, while others advise taking only that which was lying in the refrigerator for several days.However, it is absolutely certain that the meat is not frozen before cooking kebabs.
Further selection depends on whose meat you are going to cook kebabs. If we are talking about pork or beef, the neck of the carcass will be an ideal option. It is in the collar that there are the necessary fatty layers that make the kebab so juicy and tender.
However, the fat should not be too much, otherwise in the process of cooking the meat will burn, and the inside will remain raw. Those who love meat "dry", you can choose a filet of carcass, make steaks on the ribs or stop the choice on the pork shoulder. Not many people know, but the renal part is great for pork shashlik: very soft and juicy meat with a moderate amount of fat.
For beef kebabs, it is very important to choose young meat: only tender veal can turn into a really tasty kebab.
As for chicken, shins, wings or breasts are most suitable for shish kebab from it.
If the choice is stopped on the legs or chicken thighs, you do not need to remove the skin from them: it turns out tasty, crispy and holds any marinade well.
Kebabs in the oven of meat and fish
Bad weather - barbecue is not an obstacle.It can always be cooked at home using an oven or electric grill. A fragrant kebab at home can be made from either meat or fish, on a grate or on special wooden skewers (bamboo sticks).
In this case, the meat can be marinated in any way, using your favorite ingredients and leave it for several hours. After that, you can send it to the oven, choosing a temperature of 200-220 degrees. You can bake skewers in different ways, each time getting a different result:
- put the shish kebab on a baking sheet, having preliminarily covered it with foil so that the fat that drains from the meat does not stick;
- cook the kebab in the sleeve: due to the marinade, the meat will be very similar to the kebab on the grill, and due to the use of the sleeve it will become soft and evenly baked;
- cook the skewers in the oven on wooden sticks using a wire rack; the bottom of the oven must not forget to cover with foil;
- make a shish kebab in a jar that tastes practically the same as “forest”. For this, meat strung on bamboo sticks is placed in a 3-liter jar (no more than 3-4 skewers in each jar) and placed in an oven for 50-60 minutes.
Important: jars should be sent to the oven with cold so that they do not crack, and cover their top with foil in which to make small holes with a knife or fork. And in order to get the meat "with smoke", you need to put a piece of glowing charcoal on the bottom of the can.
Fish kebab in the oven is very easy to make at home.
For this fish (mainly salmon, trout or salmon):
- crushed into pieces 3 to 3 cm;
- marinated in lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Provencal herbs and greens;
- sits on wooden sticks;
- sent to the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees.
Fish kebabs are cooked very quickly and in order to get a juicy dish, it is important not to overdo it in the oven.
How to Marinate Skewers: Universal Recipes for Meat
It will be about universal marinade recipes that are suitable for any kind of meat. Chicken, pork or veal can be pickled from 30 minutes to a day - according to personal preferences. The longer the meat is pickled, the clearer the flavor characteristics of the marinade will be heard.
The main constant condition is the obligatory presence of onions: the more onions, the juicier the meat.Onions can be finely chopped or chopped into rings and slightly squeeze.
Let's list the most popular marinades for kebabs:
- "Soviet"- for such a marinade only salt, black pepper and vinegar and some water will be required. Marinating meat in vinegar does not take long: a couple of hours will suffice;
- kebab in lemon juice and spices. We use various dried herbs at our discretion: coriander, basil, rosemary, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper meat, pour fresh lemon juice, add a little mineral water and leave for a few hours;
- mayonnaise- the absolute champion among the marinades for kebabs. The meat cubes and onion rings are sprinkled with salt and spices, and then generously poured with mayonnaise. Do not take mayonnaise too fat for such a kebab: it will be enough light, with 30% fat;
- kefir in kefir- similar to kebabs in mayonnaise, but it turns out much softer, more tender, besides not so high-calorie.
But you don’t always want to cook kebabs using classic recipes. You can experiment and make the original dish on the grill:
- meat marinated in dry wine: such a kebab should definitely be seasoned with dried herbs a little, salt and add pepper and pour dry wine for 2-3 hours: for pork and beef we use red wine,for chicken - white.
- meat in beer: this intoxicating product is not only good for direct use, it is also great as a marinade. The meat cut into medium cubes is mixed with onion rings, which are pre-sprinkled with vinegar, seasoned with salt and pepper, and then poured with light beer, preferably “live”, without preservatives.This kebab can be fried within 2-3 hours after the start of pickling.
- sweet and sour marinade. The prepared meat with onion rings is well salted and peppered, after which tomato sauce (like “Krasnodar”) is added to it and fresh juice is squeezed from the lemon. Product proportions: 300 grams of onion, 200 ml of tomato and juice of 1 lemon are taken for 1 kg of meat. Everything is thoroughly mixed and left for 1-2 hours.This is one of the fastest ways to pickle meat and chicken taste marinated according to this recipe is especially magical in taste.
Marinade for pork: juicy kebab in 30 minutes
And what if there is simply no time for marinating meat? But the preparation of kebabs implies this stage. Therefore, we will make such a marinade, from which the meat will acquire the taste characteristics of the pickled meat, will become juicy and will cook very quickly. For a quick marinade for pork you will need:
- 2 kg of pork neck;
- rosemary, thyme, ground paprika, ground cumin, cardamom, bay leaf, black pepper - all on a pinch;
- salt - to taste, you need to salt each piece;
- 0.7 kg onions;
- 3 tbsp. spoons of vinegar;
- a glass of mineral water;
- greens at will;
- a large dish and a 3-liter can of water.
Meat and onions for kebab cut classically. Put the meat on a cutting board, salt, pepper and sprinkle each piece of spices (if you like greens, add a little chopped dill). In a large saucepan, mix the meat with onion rings, add vinegar and pour mineral water.
Mineral water is famous for its "abilities" to quickly give me the necessary softness due to the properties of carbon dioxide. And we need vinegar in order for onions to acquire some sweetness and not to taste bitter in finished form.
Thoroughly mix the skewers in a saucepan, cover with a dish set under a press: put a 3-liter jar of water over the dish. After 30-40 minutes the meat can be fried: it will turn out tender and juicy, with delicate acidity.
Soy marinade and honey soy sauce for chicken meat
Barbecue of chicken in soy-honey sauce is very unusual in taste and attractive by its smell and golden crust.In such a marinade, you can cook both chicken fillet, and drumsticks, thighs, and wings.
It will take:
- 2 kg of chicken meat;
- 250 ml of soy sauce (1-1.5 standard bottles);
- 2 tbsp. spoons of liquid honey;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- ground pepper, basil, rosemary.
If the fillet is pickled - cut it into a medium-sized cube, if the other parts of the chicken - leave them whole. In a soy sauce, dissolve chopped garlic, add honey and mix everything thoroughly. Pour chicken with this sauce, which was pre-peppered and seasoned.
Shish kebab is not salt, as soy sauce will give me the necessary taste. Such a kebab is marinated for 3-4 hours under pressure.
Classic marinade for beef
Beef has a more rigid meat structure and a special appreciated by lovers, a specific taste. To make the beef kebabs tender and tasty, it is better to choose the meat of a young cow - veal and marinate it correctly.Required:
- 2 kg of meat;
- 1 kg of onions;
- 150 grams of fat;
- 1 tbsp. spoonful of spirits and coriander, which we knead in a mortar;
- salt and ground black pepper.
Beef cleaned from the veins and cut classically. Onion cut quite small, so that he gave as much juice as possible.To the meat, add salt and pepper to taste, spices, onions and mix everything thoroughly. Leave to pickle at least 1.5-2 hours. Meanwhile, cut the fat in small thin pieces - about 2 cm thick.
Sliced meat is strung on a skewer, removing chopped onion from it, and alternating with pieces of fat fat, tightly pressing one piece to another. The kebab is ready when it is covered with a red-brown crust.
Another classic kebab recipe is beef in pomegranate juice. Such meat is slightly sweet, it melts in the mouth and has an unusual flavor.
On 1 kg of meat we take:
- 0.5 kg of onions;
- 0.5 liters of pomegranate juice;
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika, thyme, jira and black pepper;
- salt to taste
Classically chopped meat is mixed with onion rings and spices, pour with pomegranate juice and leave to marinate for 2-3 hours.
Delicious kebab: recipes with photos
There are many recipes for marinating and cooking kebabs, and each family or company has its own special, original, unique. Let's remember some more delicious kebab recipes:
- shish kebab in spicy herbs and mustard. As a marinade, you can use mustard beans,American gorchichu (it is very fragrant, but not sharp) or ordinary mustard;
- kebab with onions in tomato juice with basil and greens. Suitable both dried and fresh basil, and you can take any greens: dill, parsley, cilantro;
- "Just meat". Real lovers of shashlik do not pickle it, but simply generously season it with salt, pepper, put more onions and only slightly sprinkle the meat with lemon juice.
The secret: in order for such meat to not turn out dry, you need to add to it 1/2 cup of sunflower oil.
- if chicken kebab is cooked, you can marinate it in apple vinegar, garlic, curry and Provencal herbs: it will be very beautiful and fragrant.