Polycarbonate greenhouses: tips on choosing and installingAugust 13, 2018
Every year greenhouses from cellular polycarbonate are increasingly replacing similar glass constructions. Polycarbonate greenhouses are more and more often found on private household plots and in large greenhouses as the main unit for growing early fruits and vegetables.
At the same time, the domestic buyer is not yet familiar with this material.
How to choose a good polycarbonate?
To date, cellular polycarbonate is available in sheets of standard sizes. The thickness of the material can be different - from 4 to 25 mm. This is one of the key selection criteria. So, for standard greenhouses, which will be used only in the spring and autumn period, 4 mm is enough. However, if you are going to heat the structure, it is better to take sheets of at least 8 mm thick.
In addition, when choosing a polycarbonate greenhouse, the following factors should be considered:
- the color of the sheets can be any, but the transparent SPK is in any case more translucent;
- the more complex the internal structure of the material, the better the greenhouse will withstand snow and wind loads;
- sheets of the SEC must necessarily have protection from UV radiation, at least on the surface (ideally - the whole mass);
- the greater the proportion of sheets, the higher the strength. So, for the SEC with a thickness of 4 mm, a specific weight of at least 630 g / m3 is considered to be normal;
- stiffeners must be strictly at right angles, waviness in this case is not allowed.
When choosing a greenhouse polycarbonate from the cell should not be worth chasing the cheap. Economy-class products, which are mainly represented by Chinese products, will serve several times less than products of proven brands.
Basic installation rules
Despite the fact that the construction of greenhouses from the SEC is not very complex, the following basic rules should be observed:
- stiffeners are located strictly vertically;
- the connection of sheets among themselves is carried out only with the use of special profiles, and the fastening to the frame - exclusively on self-tapping screws;
- the design itself must have the correct shape and dimensions with a step of arcs of no more than 2 m in order to ensure reliability and normal conditions of operation of the greenhouse;
- when installing the structure on the ground, the presence of legs is obligatory.
Observing these rules, you can install a greenhouse with high quality on your own, which will allow you to save money on installation.