Hyperactive child: signs, symptoms and diagnosis of hyperactivity in children. Correctional activities, exercises and games with hyperactive children at home, at school and in kindergarten
In modern society, the diagnosis of "hyperactivity" sounds literally at every corner. If a child behaves too actively, this disease is immediately attributed to him, which in fact can only be determined by an experienced pediatric neurologist, psychologist or pediatrician. It is necessary to understand all the same, what this concept is - “hyperactive child”, how it is diagnosed, and what are the reasons for the development of this very excessive activity.And most importantly, how to help the crumbs and his parents cope with the increased excitability of the child and comfortably adapt to the surrounding world.
The main thing in the article
Signs and diagnosis of hyperactivity in a child
In medical terminology, the diagnosis of hyperactivity sounds like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This condition is manifested in too active work of the brain and nervous system, in which the excitation of nerve impulses dominates inhibition.
The first signs of the manifestation of "hyper-irritability syndrome" can be noted in infancy:
- This is a short and restless sleep, a violation of the digestive tract, frequent regurgitation and almost constant children's cry.
- At an early age, coordination in movements is disturbed, the child is clumsy and often injured. During this period, the parents still closely control the child’s behavior, not leaving him alone, therefore, it is extremely difficult to fix these signs at that age.
- You can begin to sound the alarm when a crumb is handed over to a preschool institution, where it is full of rules and prohibitions, where you need to restrain your emotions.
- When mental loads begin, and the child cannot cope with them fully, the situation worsens. The baby begins to fall self-esteem, manifested aggression.
- Parents should appropriately evaluate the abilities of their baby. Do not send him to school with increased load. But an ordinary school with a competent and patient teacher will be given to a child perfectly acceptable.
Diagnosis of ADHD
Competent diagnosis of "hyperactivity syndrome" does not end with a half-hour conversation with a specialist. The diagnosis cannot be made based only on the story of the parents and the examination of the work of the child's reflexes. This testing should be carried out in several stages, which will be long. Here are its main stages:
- Consultation with the parents of the child.
- A set of prepared tasks and special testing to assess the normal or rejected development of concentration and other indicators.
- Electroencephalogram, which allows to objectively evaluate and explore the brain activity of the baby.
Based on these or, if necessary, additional examinations, the neuropsychiatrist confirms or denies ADHD.
What can cause hyperactivity in children?
In addition to individual physiological factors, children's hyperactivity can be triggered by a number of other reasons:
- severe pregnancy;
- non-observance of a healthy lifestyle by a pregnant woman;
- difficult childbirth.
At what age can we talk about the hyperactivity of the child?
Manifestations of hyperactivity can be observed since birth. At this age, the doctor can already diagnose - "hyper-irritability syndrome." Do not despair if your baby is unstable, excitable, and has a number of signs of an unstable nervous system. Not necessarily hyper-excitability develops into hyperactivity. The compensating abilities of the nervous system of children can “smooth out” the problem under the expert supervision and treatment of a specialist.
All the same symptoms of ADHD are present in children, 2-3 years old. After starting a kindergarten and school, all the symptoms become aggravated, and it becomes more difficult for the child to control his behavior, as well as to follow the rules established by teachers.
That is why in many countries of the world such a medical report is attention deficit disorder and hyperexcitability,not put kiddies until attaining the age of six.
Hyperactive child: what to do?
Of course, raising a hyperactive child is an everyday job for parents. But who, if not you, will help direct the energy of your child in the right direction? Without the adjustment of behavior and the education of ADHD will not pass without a trace, and will pursue a person in adult life.
How to calm the child?
- When your crumb is in a state of excessive arousal, change the situation. Take the baby to a quieter room or room, give him a drink.
- For children with such a diagnosis, tactile contact is very important, hug a child, kiss, stroke. It is worth doing not only when he is distressed, but just for the sake of prevention.
- Favorably affects the relaxation of the nervous system taking a warm bath before bedtime. You can purchase special soothing medication-based charges at the pharmacy.
- Replace evening cartoons by reading books with colorful illustrations, have a light massage or put on unobtrusive music - this will help you to get more sleep.
Hyperactive child in kindergarten
Let's look at two behaviors of a hyperactive child when he is taken to kindergarten.
The child does not want to take part in classes.
During classes the child is restless, is always in motion. In some cases, he may flatly refuse to answer the questions posed or participate in training. This is due to the fact that the baby is afraid not to cope with the requirements regarding him, even if he willingly performed the same exercises at home. Just at home, he himself regulates the duration and process of action. And in the garden you need to learn a lot and remember, that is, to follow certain instructions.
Parents need to:
Ask the caregivers to allow the child to watch the activity for a while, let him take a convenient place. When a hyperactive kid refuses team competitions, this does not mean that he does not want to do anything, just his self-doubt prevails. And when he realizes that no one is trying to force him to study, he will connect himself to the educational process.
Here much depends on the caregiver, he should not disgrace and make fun of the child in front of other children.His task will be to encourage the baby at the moment when he decides to take active steps in the lesson.
The child agrees to participate in learning, but it bothers everyone.
The teacher should remember that, compared with other children, a hyperactive child will not be able to sit still for a long time and sculpt a craft, for example. Then it is necessary to load the child with other various activities, sometimes not even relating to the learning process (bring-submit, assist the nanny in business matters). So the child will be engaged in business and will not interfere with other members of the group.
Advice to parents:
Do not overload the nervous system of your crumb, it already works to the maximum. Give preference to groups with a game form of classes, where you can frolic from the heart and respond when the child himself wants.
Hyperactive child in school
Too active behavior of a small student can be perceived by the teacher as spoiled and echoes of improper upbringing. Therefore, parents and the teacher need to work closely with each other, and the teacher needs to show understanding and educational ethics in relation to such a child.This does not mean that everyone is allowed to a hyperactive child, they just take into account those moments that such a child cannot fulfill in comparison with other children.
Classes and work with hyperactive children
Make a plan of classes in advance.
- Do not make the child sit still. Let him behave actively during the occupation, but not sitting.
- Shorten the duration of the lesson. Let it be 5 minutes in which the child can concentrate. Repeat these "five minutes" every 2-3 hours, reaching 10 minutes of training, no longer worth it.
- Consider in advance how the lesson will take place, it should be interesting and exciting. Prepare for it: if you spend time searching for material, the child will be distracted and his attention will be lost.
- Try to schedule these short classes at the same time so that the child can tune in to them.
- The peculiarity of the memory of hyperactive children is that yesterday they willingly learned the material, but today they don’t remember it. In such cases, do not swear, pretend that nothing terrible has happened. Pause, play, and then you can return to this issue.
Temper the child's body.
Of course, dousing with ice water is not the best option. You can start with a contrast shower. This will help strengthen the immune and cardiovascular systems of the child’s body, relax the nervous system and help you fall asleep.
Do not let the child sit in four walls.
Especially when the baby is over three years old. He becomes extraordinarily inquisitive, eagerly explores the world around him. In his home walls, he becomes simply bored, and it is very difficult to entrap him with something new. In addition, he needs to be in contact with other children, to adapt to society.
Games for hyperactive children
Classes with hyperactive children should be conducted in a playful way - the sense from them will be much more than from strict sitting at the table. You can also apply and therapeutic techniques.
Teach your baby to relax.
Use natural antidepressants - water and sand. A child who has plenty of play on the beach or the lake, the rivers in sand castles, will feel much better, more relaxed.
If you can not go to the open pond, it will be enough games with water at home, in the bathroom. In the course will go water pistols, blasters from empty bottles of shampoos, soap bubbles.Such games can be finished with a contrast shower, which has already been mentioned.
You can buy clay, children's kinetic sand, and even a bunch of all sorts of devices for relaxing games in the home.
Do not stop hyper mobility.
Children with the syndrome DVG need to move like in the air, without special need do not need to restrict it. Do not torture your baby with punishment, putting him in a corner, or ordering him to sit in one place.
- Equip a children's place for active games, a sports area. This will reduce the destructive actions of the baby and allow him to develop agility and agility.
- Write the baby in the section if he is willing. It is not so important what this section will be. It does not have to be athletic: it can be dancing, gymnastics, a theater group or riding a horse. So, the child will have to lead an active lifestyle, but from this it will definitely be a sense.
- Take your child to the pool, if this is not possible - organize an inflatable mini-pool in the yard or at the dacha. Such a swim will appeal not only to your child.
- Take long walks in the fresh air. This is especially important in the winter time, it is at this time there is no possibility of being long on the streetbut spend time actively: skating, skiing, sledding from the mountain to exhaustion. The nervous system of the baby will be unloaded and will receive such a desired relaxation.
Hyperactive child: advice from a psychologist to parents
To find the right approach to a specific hyperactive child, you need to observe his reactions to comments, requests, and different behaviors. Of course, you need to be monitored by a child psycho-neurologist, undergo prescribed treatment courses in order to see the positive dynamics of the development of the baby.
Express bans clearly.
When communicating with the child, try to keep calm at any outcome. Formulate sentences so that they do not contain the words “no,” “not”. Take advantage of the alternative. For example, the prohibition: “Do not touch the hot pan!” It is better to replace “Take the same cold pan in the cupboard”. If you have forbidden a child something, be sure to justify why, offer an alternative solution to the problem.
Formulate requirements specifically.
Do not build logical chains that are too long. Suggestions should be short and succinct.so that the hyperactive child is not confused in the sequence of actions performed.
Follow the sequence.
A hyperactive child differs from other guys in its carelessness. Therefore, do not give him several tasks in a row. The child will not be able to catch the sequence of all these orders, and will do something else without completing any of them. Do not rush to give the child another task until he completes the previous one.
Keep a child schedule under control.
Hyperactive kids feel bad about time, so you need to take control of the time frame. For example, before leaving the walk, warn the baby about it in 5-10 minutes so that he can expect these actions from you.
Hyperactivity: the opinion of Dr. Komarovsky
If your child has been diagnosed with ADHD, do not despair! You have an intelligent, gifted and wonderful baby growing up, just help him direct his excess energy in the right direction!