How to paint a bumper with your own handsFebruary 12, 2014
Those days have long passed when chrome-plated steel bumpers were put on cars en masse. First, they gave way to products from unpainted ABS plastic in dark gray or black, and now almost all new cars flaunt beautiful integrated bumpers in body color. Due to this, the car acquires a beautiful and elegant look, and the bumper itself serves two purposes at once - it extinguishes gentle blows during collisions and at the same time acts as one of the important decorative elements.
However, this design approach has its drawbacks. Firstly, such a bumper is much more expensive, and secondly, its strength characteristics are much worse than those of metal ones. In addition, the paintwork of the bumper is subject to intense exposure to sand, fine gravel and stones, which fly out from under the wheels of neighboring cars. And, of course, bumper contacts with snowdrifts or cars also do not add to its attractiveness.
Of course, you can order in the store a new bumper or restore the color from official dealers.However, this will result in a round sum, so one of the good solutions to the problem would be painting the bumper yourself.
How to paint a bumper with your own hands
- Recovery work begins with the dismantling of the bumper. How to do it in such a way as not to damage the bumper can be found in the repair manual for this model of car.
- After this, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the bumper from dirt and tar spots. As a detergent, you can use car shampoo or even a simple laundry detergent. It is very convenient to wash off the dirt with a brush on the handle, which gets well into the most secluded corners inside and outside the bumper. Bitumen is efficiently removed with a solvent or uyat spirit.
- Carefully inspect the washed and dried bumper. In places where the old paintwork has swollen or has begun to peel off from the base, it must be carefully removed with a suitable sharp object (for example, a small chisel). In this case, it is not necessary to make a big effort to listen to the bumper.
- Grinding the bumper start with surface treatment with a rough emery cloth.To do this, we need a pelt of grit around P120, which is fixed on a wooden bar or grinding wheel. We consistently process all suspicious places so that we can do a minimum of putty work. If small cracks are found on the bumper during the inspection, we fix them with an electric soldering iron, and this should be done on both sides of the part.
- For these purposes, we need a putty, which includes reinforcing fiberglass. Due to it, the putty does not sit down much when dried and better resists cracking. Apply the putty to all the defective places and after it dries, we again process the surface with P120 emery paper. We reveal minor defects with the help of finishing putty and smaller sandpaper P180 ... P220. You may need to do this work several times to get good surface quality.
- We finalize the surface of the bumper manually using P220 paper. Carefully inspect the surface and light touches of emery paper remove all the risks that remain from previous work.Then we clean the bumper of dust and sand with a strong directional jet of air from the compressor. Degrease the surface of the bumper and wipe it thoroughly with an anti-silicone.
- At this stage, we will need a face shield, an atomizer and a compressor. Soil for plastic is prepared in accordance with the instructions on the bank in a small amount, sufficient to apply a pair of coating layers.
- While the soil dries, wash the spray gun and prepare a portion of the two-component primer with acrylic. The application of the soil is carried out in several stages, first we cover the entire surface in one layer, and then carefully pass through all the repaired areas. The last layer is applied to the continuous more liquid fraction of the soil. Drying the soil takes about 24 hours, and it depends on the ambient temperature.
- This operation is performed using emery paper with grit P320 ... P400. At this stage, you need to be careful and do not press hard on the bumper, especially in the area of the ribs, so as not to wipe the soil layer. Then again we blow the bumper with compressed air and degrease it for painting.
- Carefully apply the pigment in several layers (usually 2-3). Intermediate drying between coats is 5 ... 10 minutes. Using a special cloth, we remove all the fine dust particles and apply a couple of layers of protective varnish, not forgetting the intermediate drying.
- Painted bumper carefully inspected on the subject of "bald" places or lacquer stains. If necessary, we locally process these areas. Everything, work is done, and the bumper can be carried to the place of drying. Do not forget to wash off all paint accessories at the end of the work.
An important point. To achieve the maximum quality of painting, it is necessary to carefully follow all the manufacturer's instructions on the use of paints and primers indicated on the packaging.