How to number pages in Excel: four ways
The article will tell you how to numberpage in Excel. The fact is that by default their numbering is missing, but more often, especially if the document is sent to some companies or to print, page numbers should be specified. This is done quite simply, but there are many ways. After you finish reading the article, you can choose for yourself the method you like.
Method one: simple numbering
So, now we will consider an easy way, likepage numbers in Excel, but with it you can put page numbers on all pages, so if you need different numbers on different pages, it will not work for you.
To make the page numbering, you need:
- Enable headers and footers. This is done in the corresponding menu, which is located in the "Insert" tab, go there.
- In the toolbar, find the "Text" group and click the "Header and footer" button.
- Once you do this, the sheets will appearheaders and footers. They are located at the bottom and top, just like in the "Word". However, there are differences. So, in "Excel" they are divided into three parts. At this stage you need to choose which place the page number will be in.
- Once you have decided on the location, you need to go to the designer (the tab that appears) and there to find and click on the "Page Number" button.
- After that, in the area you have chosen, there will be a special tag, it does not need to be modified, you just need to click anywhere in the table.
This was the first way how to number the pages in Excel. As you can see, it is very simple. With it, you can quickly put numbers in the entire document.
Method two: display the total number of pages
By the way, the article discusses ways how to number the pages in Excel 2007, but the instruction is the same for all versions, only some buttons and their location can differ.
So, to specify the numbering with the total number of pages in the document, you need to do the following:
- Write a simple numbering. To do this, refer to the previous instructions.
- Now enter the header text editing area with the page and before the tag located there enter the "Page", and after it "from".
- Now put the cursor after the word "from", after making an indent.
- Go to the "Constructor" tab and click on the "Number of Pages" button. It is located under the "Page Number" button.
Now, as in the previous time, you just need to click on an arbitrary area of the table to display the number of pages.
This was the second way how to number the pages in Excel, the third is on the waiting list.
Method three: numbering all pages except the first
Now we will tell you how to put page numbers in the whole document, except for the first sheet.
- Go to the "Headers and Footers" tab.
- On the toolbar, click the "Options" button and check the box next to "Custom header for the first page".
- After that, number the pages as described above.
As you can see, all the pages got their number, except the first one. If there is a desire, then it can be numbered separately, and you can leave it blank.
Method four: numbering from a certain sheet
So, if you want to start numbering from a certain sheet, you need:
- Make a simple numbering, as described in the first method.
- Go to the "Page layout" tab.
- Click on the icon in the form of an arrow pointing to the lower right corner, which is located in the "Page Setup" tool group.
- In the window that appears, on the Pages tab, specify the number from which the document numbering starts. This is done in the "First page number" field.
- Click OK.
After that, the first page will receive the number you specified. By the way, if you are thinking how to number pages in Excel 2003, then, as mentioned above, the instruction is common for all versions.