How to make a capacitor?
Watch the video
In the soul of each of us, the inventor lives, andbecause ham radio is a fairly popular hobby. The independent manufacture of radio components is one of the most interesting components of this hobby. In this article, we will talk about how to make a capacitor with your own hands at home.
To make a capacitor, we need:
- papyrus paper,
Foil does not need additional preparation, but with the help of the last three components we have to make waxed paper.
So, the materials are prepared, we start to work:
- Heat the paraffin and carefully process the papyrus paper.
- We put it in the "accordion", the width of each section of which is about 30 mm. The number of harmonic layers determines the capacity of the capacitor, each layer corresponds to approximately 100 pF.
- In each section we put a piece of foil with an area of 30 to 45 mm.
- We fold the accordion and iron it with a warm iron.
- Everything, the condenser is ready! Pieces of foil peeking outward are the connecting pins of our condenser, through which it can be incorporated into the circuit.
We got the simplest household capacitor,it should be noted that the thicker and better the foil, the more high-voltage it will be. However, we draw your attention, to make a capacitor at home that can withstand more than 50 kV, it is better not to try. "Amateur professionals" are advised, if they want to get close to this value, to use lamination packages as a dielectric, but you will need a laminator to heat them.
Read also the article How to make a coil Tesla.