How to lay linoleum
Watch the video
Linoleum - practical and relatively inexpensivefloor covering, the laying of which can be carried out on its own, without resorting to the help of specialists. In order not to spoil the material and, as a result, to get a neat attractive floor, you should carefully study the instruction and read more information about laying linoleum. About how to lay linoleum on the floor, is detailed further in the article.
How to prepare a floor for laying linoleum?
Such a universal kind of floor covering, like linoleum, can be laid on both a concrete base and a wooden floor.
- To lay linoleum on a wooden floor, you should first check the reliability and density of the adjoining floorboards, drive inprotruding nails, strengthen all the loosened elements;
- The dried up wooden floor should be leveled with the help of a cake, and fill the gap with putty;
- Old wooden floor before laying is recommended to lay sheets of GVL or plywood;
- When laying linoleum on a concrete foundation, you should check the floor for chips, cracks, irregularities and potholes. In the case of the presence of such, the base is recommended to be leveled, the bay with a screed.
How to properly lay linoleum: general requirements
After purchasing the rolls of material, you need to let them settle in a vertical position for several days. In this case, the air temperature in the room mustvary from 15 to 18 degrees Celsius. In addition, the humidity in the room should not exceed 65%.
Layout of sheets of linoleum is carried out taking into accountsources of natural light. Thus, experts recommend placing seams along the direction of the flow of light. Otherwise, the joints will be too prominent. The plain material should be laid, leaving allowances for seams of 3-4 cm, as well as indents around the perimeter of 10 cm. Linoleum with a pattern must be laid, combining the elements of the pattern.
To properly lay linoleum, before laying it is necessary to lay a substrate.
What to lay under linoleum?
Many factories today produce material,equipped with a synthetic or jute substrate. For this type of linoleum, you do not need to cover the base. In all other cases, before laying linoleum floor must be laid with lining material. Several types of linoleum substrates are used:
- Substrate of cork crumb does not differ strength and poorly toleratesload from the legs of furniture and heels. In addition, this material can not be called budget;
- Substrate of pure jute fiber does not burn, does not rot and does not mold, however it is not cheap;
- The linen fiber liner has the same characteristics as the jute version;
- Substrate of a mixture of wool, linen and jute, impregnated with antifungal agents, is an ideal option for laying linoleum.
To lay linoleum with your own hands, it must first be cut, for which it is necessary to find out how to do it correctly.
How to cut the cover?
This process is carried out with the help ofspecial knife and ruler. For technological seams on the contour of the room on the material rolled out on the floor, it is necessary to leave the indents and allowances bent on the walls.
The main ways to cut linoleum
- The material rolls over the floor of the room, and the edges of the sheet of linoleum are pressed against the base. Floor covering is cut along the perimeterpremises taking into account technological gaps. The exception is the doorway;
- Adjustment without gaps is carried out on the markings previously made on the laid linoleum;
- In a room with a complex layout on the laid linoleum, marking out the protruding elements is done, after which the material is cut;
- The markings are applied to patterns made from cardboard. This method is used when laying material around pipes or sanitary ware.
After cutting, linoleum should be left on the floor without fastening for two days. During this time, the floor covering is completely leveled.
To lay the linoleum itself, you need to understand the ways of fixing it.
When laying material on a foamed basis, do notit is necessary to fix it with a special glue. The coating can not be glued at all or simply fixed with a double-sided adhesive tape.
When laying commercial linoleum in a room where the material can undergo intensive wear, it is mandatory to glue the floor covering.
Professionals distinguish two main ways of gluing linoleum:
- In the first case, the adhesive composition withToothed trowel should be applied to the surface of the base, starting to process it from the middle of the room. In the area of joints, the glue does not need to be applied, leaving a gap of about 12 cm. It is imperative that the area of the floor-to-wall contact is treated. Only after this linoleum can roll out on the floor.
- In the second case, the material laid out on the floorIt should roll into a tight roll, stopping in the middle of the room. Adhesive composition should be applied in a manner similar to that described above. Slightly shaking the roll, it must be rolled out and glued to the base, moving from the center of the room to its periphery.
After the above-described manipulations are completed, all air must be expelled from under the glued coating, carefully passing through it with a special roller or rags.
Also on this page you can watch a video about how to lay linoleum. More useful information you can find in our article - How to put linoleum.