How to improve the GPS reception on "Android": instructions for setting the GPS signal
Pocket geolocation - it's prettycommon and recently habitual. Now on all models of modern phones there is a GPS-system. But often about it users have questions. For example, they are interested in how to improve the GPS reception on "Android" or iOS to get more accurate location information or it's more convenient to play games that require detailed geolocation. We will analyze this problem and find out what can be done.
What is GPS?
GPS is a system that allows a smartphoneUse the navigation applications and determine your location to build the best route option to the destination. It is based on obtaining data from satellites located in outer space.
Why did he need me?
GPS navigation is used by navigationapplications. Together they help to get to the right place without a detailed study of paper maps of the area and a survey of people around on the topic "Where to go further and where to turn?"
The most famous free GPS-navigators for"Android": "Yandex.Maps" or "Yandex.Navigator", GoogleMaps and MapsMe. Even on the Internet you can find a pirated version of Navitel. But the program may be the old year of release. In this case, it is able to lead you to non-existent roads and a "brick". In addition, the program can be infected with a virus. Then there is a possibility that it will "break" the system of your smartphone, and you will have to change not only the navigator, but also the phone or at least its firmware.
Now the most common and modernphone models - this is an IPhone based on iOS and supporting a different system of phones ("Android"). GPS in them is used in more advanced form - A-GPS. This is a function that increases the speed of the application during cold and hot start, due to other communication channels (WI-FI, cellular), and also increases the accuracy of positioning.
Cold start is a situation when the phone can notconnect to new satellites when the application is turned on. In this case, it works autonomously according to the data transmitted at the previous inclusion by those satellites to which it was connected. Hot start - when satellites are immediately included in the work. They appear on the screen of the application or in a special tab to track their work and receive data.
The first variant of signal improvement
Ways to improve GPS reception on "Android"or iOS, a huge amount. We will analyze the 3 most famous. The first and easiest way to increase the GPS signal is to enable the corresponding mode in the phone settings. For this we do the following steps:
- Turn on GPS (geolocation) and go to the phone settings.
- We find the section "Geodata".
- Select the upper button "Mode".
- A window with the name "Detection method" opens.
- Choose the item "High accuracy".
Productivity of the phone due to the inclusionaccuracy will increase. At the same time, the time of its operation without recharging can decrease several times. The thing is that the included navigator will simply "eat" the battery.
The second way how to improve the GPS reception on "Android"
The second option is more complicated. But it helps as often as the first. You need to download the application for cleaning GPS data. After updating the information on satellites, the navigation system will start to work better than before. But this option may not work for some phones due to incompatibility of the application and model, lack of space, etc.
The most complex but reliable method
There is a third, the most difficult optionsolving the problem, how to improve the GPS reception on "Android." It is more suitable for computer geniuses. Its essence lies in the redesign of the system file that controls the operation of the phone's GPS system. We will sort out in order:
- You need to extract the GPS file.CONF, located in the system / etc / gps / conf folder, through special programs that give access to system files. Then move it to the internal memory of the phone or to the SD-card, so that it can be opened on the computer in the future.
- Changing the settings of GPS.CONF is carried out through the program Notepad ++ on a regular PC. And connect the phone to the computer through a standard USB-wire.
- Next, you need to change the settings of the NTP server, fromwhich synchronizes the time. Usually they say something like this - north-america.pool.ntp.org. The record must be rewritten - ru.pool.ntp.org or europe.pool.ntp.org. The result should look like this: NTP_SERVER = ru.pool.ntp.org.
- It is also not superfluous to write additionalserver, without making any changes to them: XTRA_SERVER_1 = http: //xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin, XTRA_SERVER_2 = http: //xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin, XTRA_SERVER_3 = http: //xtra3.gpsonextra .net / xtra.bin.
- Next, you need to decide whether the GPS receiverUse WI-FI to amplify the signal. When you enter the ENABLE_WIPER = parameter, you must put a digit that will allow (1) or disallow (0) the use of a wireless connection. For example, ENABLE_WIPER = 1.
- The next parameter is the connection speed and the accuracy of the data. There your choice is the following: INTERMEDIATE_POS = 0 <- (exactly, but slowly) or INTERMEDIATE_POS = 1 <- (not exactly, but quickly).
- In the type of use of data transmission, knowledgeable people advise putting the User Plane, which is responsible for the wide transfer of subscriber data. Then the line of the program is written DEFAULT_USER_PLANE = TRUE.
- The accuracy of GPS data is tracked through the parameterINTERMEDIATE_POS =, in the line of which it is possible to specify both the consideration of all data without exception, and the removal of errors. If you put after the sign "=" 0 (zero), then geolocation will take into account everything that it finds, and if 100, 300, 1000, 5000 - it will remove the errors. Programmers recommend setting 0. But if you want to try, you can use the removal of errors.
- Application of the A-GPS function, as already mentionedabove, supported or automatically included on all modern devices. But if you still want the function to work fine, then in the A-GPS activation line you need to set DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE = TRUE.
- The final version of the file should be saved and discarded on the phone, then restarted.
Important point: if you do not want to do it yourself for various reasons, for example, because of laziness, fear of breaking something in the system, etc., you can find the GPS.CONF file with the parameters you need and just copy it to your smartphone. It only remains to reboot the phone and enjoy an improved GPS.
Why does not GPS work on Android?
The problem has other causes. It happens that the GPS does not work on "Android" at all (does not turn on, does not search for satellites, etc.). This problem can help to understand the demolition of the system to the factory settings. This is done through the phone settings. In addition, the gadget can be reflashed or given to the service center employees who "dig in" electronics and fix the shortcoming.