How to determine the phase?
In order to answer the question how to definephase, first of all it is necessary to think about safety during its definition. Important: to determine the phase in the wiring of a room or building, it will be necessary to supply power to the same wiring. Because of this, subsequent work and experiments will become unsafe for your life. At the same time, a hundred times think whether it is necessary for you, can trust a professional electrician who has work permit and necessary skills? Life is more expensive than the money that he will ask you for his work.
If with caution everything is clear, then let's deal with how to determine the phase and zero.
- Turn off all electrical appliances from the sockets.
- We de-energize the room or the house, the voltage must be completely disconnected.
- We are oblivious to the two wires with which we will"sort things out". It means that it is necessary not to completely clean the insulation from the wires, just their ends should be bare and cleaned, and also located at a distance from each other so that they do not accidentally touch, and there is no short circuit.
- Then again, apply voltage, including the wires we need.
- We take the indicator screwdriver. In its absence, we buy. It is worth quite a bit. And so, do not look for other methods and say that: "I do not have a screwdriver, I'll take a light bulb."
- The indicator screwdriver must be in the righthand. It is necessary to touch it only for the dielectric part. Touch the end of the screwdriver in turn to each of the wires. In this case, the index finger of the right hand should be placed on the end of the handle, which must be metallic.
The same wire on which the indicator lighted andis the phase, and the other wire is, naturally, zero. All this technique is very suitable for two-wire wiring, but there can be three wires, that is: zero, earth and phase. The phase in this case can be determined in exactly the same way: the indicator screwdriver will light. On the zero and ground indicator will not work at all.
Earth and zero are determined in many casesdifferently. Many determine the color of the wires, but in this case, you can rely only on electricians who should not have been confused, and put a specific color for the appropriate wire. It is better to discard this method immediately. You can take a light bulb with a cartridge and two wires. The first one must be screwed to the phase determined by you by the indicator, and the second one must be applied alternately to the two remaining wires: it will light up, so the wire is zero. However, in some cases, the light bulb may respond to ground contact. You can measure the voltage in series with a voltmeter. On the wires of the phase-zero pair, the voltage will be greater than on a pair of phase-to-ground wires.
On the marking, determine where the phase is located,in the following way. Check the color of the tips of the wires sticking out of the socket for the outlet or switch. In modern homes, when laying electrical cables, wires intended for laying in walls are marked with three different in color ways. Determine the cable, which is ground, can be completely yellow marking with a green strip. The neutral wire must have a blue or blue color coding, and the phase is colored either in black or brown.