How to clean the filter in the washing machine: an overview of best practices
The design of automatic washing machines include items such as filters: drain and filler. They provide protection for vehicles from dirt and damage. In order for filters to perform their functions, they are periodically cleaned.
Manufacturers recommend doing it every six months. Having figured out how to clean the filter in a washing machine, you can do it yourself, without professional support.
Cleaning the drain filter
With the help of a drain filter, waste water is cleaned from various debris (coins, buttons, etc.). The filter element can become clogged due to the presence of impurities and heavy elements in the water.
Cleaning is necessary in order to prevent small organic and inorganic impurities from entering the pump and nozzles, which can damage parts.
Signs of the need for cleaning
The drain filter is also called the drainage, trash and filter pump. Signs indicating the need for a procedure are:
- Termination of all functions.
- Difficulty in draining the fluid during which it slows down or stops completely.
- When switching to “Spinning"The system is instantly shut down.
- Rinse function is not performed.
Each of the listed symptoms is a signal to take action to clear the filter from debris.
The sequence of the procedure
Before removing the filter, you must stock up with a container for draining water and dry rags, overlaying the machine with them and slipping it under the bottom. The fact is that even after draining some water remains in it. Rags will absorb the liquid and protect the floor from moisture.
This is done because in some models there are nodes that are not able to disconnect from the power supply instantly.After you make sure that the machine is completely turned off, you can begin to work.
Before removing the filter cover unscrew and pull out of the socket. After this, the following manipulations are carried out:
- Rinsing under running water.
- Brush dirty areas.
- Cleaning off lime and removing unpleasant odors by soaking in a solution of citric acid and water.
Also cleaning of the filter seat in the typewriter is performed, as it can trap debris. To facilitate the procedure, use a flashlight to illuminate the dark areas.
After removing the debris and washing under running water, the clean part is put in place.
Problems and methods of their elimination
When cleaning the filter element, you may encounter a problem. It lies in the fact that the lid is not turned.
In such a situation, if you have a car brandIndesit, lay the machine on its side and remove the pump. If the model is without a cap, you will see a pump. If there is a cover, it must be removed. After that, you need to disconnect the wires. Next, you need to unscrew the bolts holding the part, and detach the electrician from the pump.
The filter is then treated with WD-40 liquid, opened and cleaned. After the procedure, the actions are carried out in reverse order. When screwing the cap, note how tightly it is screwed. A badly screwed cap will let water through.
For machines of different brands and models, the characteristics are different, so before carrying out the work it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the relevant section in the instructions. Knowing their features, you will avoid difficulties. For example, in washing machines, the filter of which is fixed with a screw, you will first need to unscrew the screw.
If the drain filter is not provided in the design, remove the washing machine body, check the cochlea, the drain pump and the connections.
Do machines likeSamsung,AristonandIndesit, the drain filter is located below from the face. In models of LG and Bosch, it is located behind a decorative hatch on the bottom right.
Cleaning the filler filter
In washing machines, there is also a filler filter element in the form of a mesh, which does not allow foreign objects and impurities to enter. Such devices are not provided in all models of machines.
Signs of clogged filter inlet are:
- reduced head of water entering the machine;
- increased washing time;
- The device works well, but when pouring it buzzes and does not fill with liquid.
The element is connected to the inlet hose and is located near the water supply valve.
Step-by-step cleaning instructions
To fix the problem you will need to clean the filler filter. This is done in the following sequence:
- Before cleaning shut off the water.
- The fill tube is removed, after which the filter screen will be visible.
- The grid is removed using pliers. This should be done carefully, as it is very fragile and can break.
- The removed element is cleaned and washed with water.
- Clean the filter back in place and attach the hose.
Models may vary in design, but the order of work remains the same.
Particular attention is paid to the filter, which is usually located under the hood, within reach.
It is not possible to clean the filter inside the case of the washing machine, so it must be removed.
When using pliers, you need to be as careful as possible so as not to damage the filter.
The quality of the water affects the performance of the filter. The harder it is and the more impurities it contains, the more often it will have to be cleaned. For the smooth operation of the machine, you can use special filters that are additionally installed for washing machines.
Types of pollution and their causes
Before cleaning the filters, it is necessary to determine the type of contamination and the reasons for their appearance. To prevent the formation of dirt, there are preventive methods and means. Knowing the causes, effects and ways to eliminate the problem, you will extend the operational life of your machine and ensure its uninterrupted operation.
In addition to ordinary garbage that enters the washer with things, ordinary dirt, limescale, scum and mold can be considered as filter contaminants. To eliminate them, there are different ways and available tools. With their help, you not only clean the filters, but also prevent the appearance of contaminants.
Causes pollution filters are:
- hard water;
- particles, villi, separated from erasable things;
- untimely cleaning and drying of all elements of the machine;
- poor quality of powders and other detergents.
Consider the main types of pollutants and how to eliminate them.
Poor quality water is becoming one of the main reasons for the formation of scale and limescale on filters and other machine parts. Cleaning can be done using professional and home remedies.
Professional tools are selected in accordance with the functional features of the device and your financial capabilities. Simple and affordable means considered whiteness. Cleaning can be done mechanically, but not independently, but with the help of specialists who use special devices for these purposes.
If dirt gets on the filter,napclothes, as well as untimely cleaning and the use of poor-quality laundry detergents form deposits of dirt, mold and unpleasant odor.Cleaning is carried out, as in the first case, by home and professional means.
In addition to vinegar and citric acid, the use of copper sulphate and soda, as well as whiteness is recommended. After cleaning and ending the rinsing mode, all parts must be wiped with a clean, dry cloth and dried.
Folk remedies in the care of the unit
Consider the basic tools used to clean the drain filter, and how to use them. These are proven effective methods that you can use for the prevention and cleaning of filters with simple tools with your own hands.
Lemon acid- affordable and cheap, odorless.
Rules of application:
- Pour 60-100 grams of acid into the powder container. The amount of the agent is determined by the length of time during which the cleaning was not carried out.
- Turn on the device for a full cycle at a temperature of 60 degrees or more.The maximum temperature is chosen if the machine is very dirty.
- Remove dirt and acid residues during rinsing. If the machine is not completely cleaned, repeat the procedure.
Upon completion, the filter is cleared of the remaining residue.
The process of cleaning the washer with citric acid is shown in the video:
Soda- affordable mold cleaner. Soda clean all parts on which it is formed. Mode of application:
- Soda one to one diluted with water.
- In a solution of water and soda moisten the fabric.
- Impregnated fabric wipe the elements with the resulting mold.
- After a few hours start washing.
- At the end of it, remove the remaining dirt by hand.
The procedure can be repeated several times, depending on the degree of contamination.
Use of vinegar
When it is used, it removes not only mold and scum, but also an unpleasant smell. Mode of application:
- 200 ml of 9% vinegar is poured into the powder tray.
- Include washing at a temperature of from 60 to 90 degrees.
- After filling the machine with hot water include a pause for 1 hour.
- Continue washing until completion.
- Clean the filter from remaining contamination.
Then wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry cloth and allow to dry.
With the technology of cleaning using vinegar will show the video:
Application of whiteness
The tool can be attributed to both professional and home. Simple and affordable, it has a pungent smell. Provides high-quality cleaning of the drain filter.
Method of use:
- in the container for filling of powder fill in the whiteness;
- include the longest in time and with a high temperature cycle for 15–20 minutes, put the machine on pause and leave for 2 hours;
- include washing and rinsing;
- restart the rinsing cycle.
At the end, wipe the parts dry with a cloth.
It is an excellent, easy to use, affordable, odorless product.
Instructions for use:
- The powdery substance (30 g) is diluted in 1 liter of water.
- Wipe all the insides of the car and leave for a day.
- Start washing with any washing powder.
As in the other cases, they include an additional rinse program, and after cleaning they are wiped with a dry cloth.
If you do not want to do the "dirty" work yourself, you can call the plumber. Professional cleaning will eliminate the need to do unusual work for you.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
How the cleaning process takes place in practice and how effective it is, you can learn from the videos below.
Cleaning the water system filter:
How to clean the drain filter:
Summing up, we can say that the operational life of an automatic washing machine depends on proper care. Cleaning can be done both independently and with a call to the house of specialists. Do this at least twice a year.
Understanding how and what to clean the filters is easy. For this you need to determine the type of pollution and the type of funds that will help you remove it. Effective and preventive methods available for each hostess. If you have no desire to clean and launder a washing machine, call those who will do it with high quality and professionalism.