How to clean the dishwasher at home: mechanical and chemical cleaning dishwasher
In order for a dishwasher to properly cope with its responsibilities, it is necessary not only to follow the rules of operation, but also to regularly take care of the appliance. Otherwise, you can face such troubles as the smell of mustiness, fatty deposits, mold.
And in especially neglected cases - and with the breakdown of the device itself. Therefore, we consider how to clean the dishwasher at home and extend its service life.
Stages of mechanical cleaning
Although many modern models of dishwashers have a self-cleaning function, this does not prevent the need to periodically rinse filters and other elements of the machine.
And even professional tools for the care of the device may not be enough if we are talking about blockages or operation in hard water. Therefore, the key to perfect work dishwasher - a comprehensive and timely care.
Flushing drain and filler filter
At the sink any dishwasher there is a multi-layer filter, whose task - to prevent clogging runoff with food pieces and other debris. But even if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations diligently and wipe the dishes with napkins before each load to remove food residues, the device can be stopped by grease or water from hard water.
To get to the filter, we act as follows:
- Turning off the dishwasher.
- We take out the bottom basket, collect the remaining water at the bottom of the device with a sponge.
- In the lower part of the body next to the sprinkler we find a circular recess - in it is placed the filter, which consists of a metal membrane for fine cleaning, a plastic cup with large holes and an internal mesh.
- In the new dishwashers for this element is easy to remove - just pull up or unscrew counterclockwise.But in models older than 7-10 years, you may need a screwdriver, pliers and other improvised tools from the arsenal of a home craftsman.
- From the hole under the filter you need to clean the water with a sponge and inspect the niche for contamination - if any solid particles of waste get through the filter protection, they can damage or break the pump.
- To make sure that the pump impeller is working, you can loosen the screw with a screwdriver, remove the protective bar and carefully rotate the blades. If they rotate easily and no foreign objects are detected, they can be collected back. Otherwise, you have to disassemble the design of the pump.
- Then, all parts are cleaned from debris and washed with warm water with any fat-soluble agent. If the filter has not been cleaned for a long time, the mesh cells are very clogged or the glass is covered with scale, you can soak these elements for a couple of hours in a solution of vinegar, citric acid or sprinkle with dishwasher detergent.
Although the output filter is the most popular place for the accumulation of blockages, with complex mechanical cleaning of the dishwasher, it does not interfere with checking the condition of the suction hose.Concentrations of sand, rust and salt can be found here.
To clean the dishwasher bay, disconnect the water inlet hose (and rinse it at the same time). Inside there should be two filters: immediately behind the crane-tee and at the entrance to the device itself. Both nets are removed and rinsed with warm water. If they are damaged or heavily clogged, you can replace them with new ones - such consumables are inexpensive. After checking all the filters are collected in the reverse order.
Checking condition and cleaning sprinklers
Another problematic element that can damage a dishwasher is the sprinkler system. Although the water from the hose is supplied already cleared of large inclusions, small particles of sand and calcium salts easily pass through the cells of the inlet filter.
In addition, water with high rigidity can damage the sealing gum on the rotating rocker arms, so it is advisable to inspect their condition at least 1 time per month.
The principle of cleaning sprayers:
- Take out the upper basket with the beam attached to it.
- Bend the latches and remove the sprinkler blades.
- Remove the bottom basket and remove the bottom beam - usually, it is enough to rotate the beam counterclockwise and pull up, holding the item in the middle.
- Inspect the condition of the seals (if necessary, replace).
- Rinse the blades under running water, clean the nozzles and connecting nodes.
- Reassemble the system and make sure that the sprinklers rotate without interference and effort.
The fasteners of the rocker arms of different models may differ, so it is necessary to check the instructions before the first cleaning so as not to accidentally break the latches.
How to clean the nozzles on the sprayers of the Hansa dishwasher, will demonstrate the video:
Cleaning the housing and seals
It is recommended to wipe dry the inner walls, baskets and gum on the appliance door after each launch. But it doesn’t hurt to periodically disinfect these areas with the help of special tools allowed for use in dishwashers.
Particular attention should be paid to the joints and the zone at the bottom of the door - they are almost not washed with water during washing, so food debris quickly accumulates and begins to decompose.
It is enough to wipe a not very dirty sealant with a soft cloth soaked in cleaning solution, and in severe cases you can help yourself with a toothbrush. But to spray the tool or wash the door with a wet sponge is undesirable, so that the liquid does not get on the wiring or in the lock.
Many housewives use household tools for cleaning household appliances, for example, the same lemon powder or vinegar. But in the case of seals such savings are very doubtful - the gum may harden or crack under the influence of acid, and the machine will begin to leak during operation.
Baskets with dried food residues can first be soaked in warm water for a couple of hours, then washed in a soap solution with a stiff non-metallic brush.However, the self-cleaning function does a good job with this task, if it is provided in the device. Before installing inside the box, all items need to be washed with clean running water and wipe dry.
Elimination of fat, mold and scale
If you notice that a whitish coating has appeared on the dishes or the internal walls of the device, or an unpleasant smell has started to be heard from the box, you should immediately start cleaning the car. And the best helpers here will be ready-made solutions, made by machine manufacturers, or available tools, which probably will be in the kitchen of any hostess.
The use of finished chemicals
To wash the dishwasher and its internal elements that are inaccessible to simple mechanical cleaning, it is recommended to start the device on any long-term cycle at high temperature with the addition of a professional product.
But if you notice yellow or rust stains on the internal surfaces of the dishwasher, the reason may be the high content of iron in the water. In this case, you will have to install a special filter on the filler hose.
Fresh stains can be removed with a cloth soaked in stainless steel cleaning agent, but it is better to treat rust after rusting with an anti-corrosion coating.
The most popular chemicals for disinfecting and cleaning scale:
- Finish Machine Cleaner- under the influence of hot water, the membrane on the neck of the bottle dissolves, and the product actively cleans all available surfaces from grease, scale and unpleasant odors.
- Antinucipin- degreasing powder to remove lime deposits and scale on the inner elements of the machine.
- Filtero- liquid for prophylactic cleaning of dishwashers from grease and scale.
- ELECTROLUX- liquid means for removal of fatty deposits and small food garbage, and also powder for fight against a scum and fragrance.
These drugs work according to a similar principle - they are placed in an empty dishwasher, then they turn on the device for 45-90 minutes at a high temperature. After it is recommended to once again start the rinsing idle, already for a short cycle, in order to guarantee to remove all chemical residues, and to wipe the surfaces dry with a soft rag.
In addition, you can use specialized sprays and liquids recommended for cleaning and polishing stainless steel walls of the dishwasher, and to combat unpleasant odors - fragrances that are suspended on the baskets of the device and can be used for several cycles.
But manufacturers do not recommend adding liquid for dishes for preventive washing and degreasing the surface. The fact is that increased foaming can damage the internal elements of the device, and attempts to save will result in repairs. Therefore, you can and should manually wipe the surfaces in a soapy solution, but you should not start the machine with the addition of foaming liquid.
Alternative to purchase
Professional preparations are good for their balanced composition and complex action on the three most common problems of machines - scale, odor and fatty deposits. But if you are looking for a way to quickly clean the dishwasher and at the same time save money - we offer several recipes from inexpensive but effective ingredients.
To clean the machine, and at the same time drain the fat deposits, you need to pour 1.5-2 cups of vinegar into a cup or a plate, put it in the upper tray, pour soda at the bottom and start any long-term mode. And as soon as the water warms up - click on a pause and leave the device for at least 30 minutes (but better at night). During this time, various dried rubbish and debris will soften and be easily removed along with dirty water.
Another universal remedy that will help remove scale deposits is citric acid. Its consumption depends on the displacement of the machine and the degree of contamination, but on average, it will take about 150-200 grams. It also works at high temperatures, and for better effect - with forced stopping of the device from 30 minutes to several hours.
There is a more gentle way - to prepare a solution from water and vinegar or lemon powder, pour it into any bottle with a spray bottle and use it for manual cleaning of the inner walls of the box and other surfaces with scum.It is necessary to spray the tool gently and make sure that it does not fall on the rubber elements, as well as on the skin.
You can make “2 in 1” tablets from soda, which will not only help to clean the car of grease and dirt, but also refresh the air with a pleasant aroma.
- In a glass of powdered soda pour 10-15 drops of any essential oil and 1-2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.
- Stir all with a spatula - the mixture should be similar to wet sand.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, stick small balls.
- Spread the prepared tablets on the bottom of the device.
- Run the dishwasher for a long cycle.
For the best effect, users recommend placing a plate with 1-2 glasses of vinegar in the basket.
Care and Maintenance Tips
A comprehensive cleaning of the machine is recommended to be carried out at least once a month, and the filtration system should be washed weekly. But in order to reduce the amount of work during the general cleaning, we recommend to take note of a few simple tips for regular maintenance and maintenance.
- Install dishes in trays in accordance with the layout of the manufacturer. General recommendations, however,the same for all appliances - pans, pots, pans with soot and other heavily soiled or large dishes are always placed at the bottom - there the sink goes more actively. And glasses, cups and deep plates always turn upside down so that they do not remain the remains of powder and water.
- Before loading, wipe the dishes from large debris with a normal napkin.
- Use a special salt in addition to detergent powder or tablets, which already have a softener.
- After each cycle, remove the coarse filter screen and remove the accumulated debris.
- Check the detergent compartment so that no powder or pieces of pills are left in it.
Use only non-metallic objects and soft cloths for cleaning - hard fibers can damage the sheeting of the box or baskets and give the green light to rust.
The video introduces the features of cleaning the dishwasher with home remedies and method of preparation:
To avoid a stale smell, always wipe the internal parts after each start with a dry cloth and air the device until the condensate evaporates.
And the last tip - use the dishwasher at least 3-4 times a week. Paradoxically, but the longer the device remains without work, the less will be its service life, since with such idle times more often there are problems with blockages, limestone and unpleasant odors.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
In order to visualize the volume of the upcoming cleaning, especially the extraction and cleaning of the internal elements of the dishwasher, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with a small selection of video advice from home craftsmen and experienced housewives.
Regular care and preventive washing of dishwasher systems:
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in the care of dishwasher equipment. But if the machine is not spoiled by regular cleaning, its glittering walls will quickly become covered with bloom, food debris will clog up filters and spray nozzles, a fungus will settle in the compactor, and key parts will fail and require replacement. Therefore, do not forget about your assistant or entrust its prevention to cleaning specialists.