Edema in pregnancy: the reasons for the appearance in the later periods. How to deal with edema during pregnancy?
Edemas during pregnancy very often appear in future moms, especially in the later periods. They are not always a threat to the development of the baby, however, they can signal any violation or pathology of pregnancy. That is why the occurrence of edema in pregnant women attracts close attention from doctors.
The main thing in the article
Causes of edema in late pregnancy
Usually visible swelling occurs in late pregnancy, namely, in the third trimester. Before you begin to fight them, it is necessary to identify the causes of their occurrence. For each of the future mummies, the prerequisites for the appearance of puffiness are individual:
- increase in fluid demand: During pregnancy, a woman's body needs more blood, which is accompanied by an increase in amniotic fluid. As a result, the body tries to reduce blood viscosity: with the help of hormones it provokes a feeling of thirst and the pregnant woman begins to consume more fluid. That is why there is nothing surprising in some puffiness of the legs of a woman carrying a child. Such edema does not require special treatment and is usually normally tolerated by pregnant women in the later periods;
- often leg swelling provokedvaricose veinsduring pregnancy: the outflow of blood from the lower limbs is disturbed, as a result of which the veins in the legs become overflowing with blood. This leads to the appearance of extensive edema in the foot area.
- if pregnantkidney problems, the swelling can accompany her throughout the entire period of gestation. And although the kidneys work in the mode of special stress, they do not always manage to remove the entire volume of excess fluid from the pregnant woman’s body.
- the cause of increased swelling can begestos- a disease in which, in addition to excessive fluid retention in the body, there is also an increase in pressure and a high concentration of protein in the urine.
Depending on the reasons for the appearance of edema in a pregnant woman, certain treatment or preventive measures are prescribed to alleviate her condition.
Swelling of the legs and arms during pregnancy: how to remove?
At each appointment, the gynecologist especially carefully examines the lower legs of the pregnant woman and her ankles. The woman herself can determine how much her legs are swelling, drawing attention to the trail of a sock elastic that appears on her ankle. Very swollen legs are not easy to put in comfortable shoes for pregnant. The skin on the legs becomes flabby, and if you press on the swollen leg or ankle, there will be a depression that does not disappear immediately, but after a couple of minutes. Needless to say, what discomfort is delivering edema to a pregnant woman?
Remove leg swelling during pregnancy completely fail, but you can alleviate your condition,
- slightly reducing fluid intake, ceasing to eat too salty food, after which you really want to drink, and the excess salt in the menu of a pregnant woman retains fluid in her body.
- Many women are helped by special gymnastics and massage against edema, as well as lying with their legs raised up.
- If a woman has to sit a lot, you can put her legs on a chair next to her: this will significantly reduce the risk of ankle swelling.
- For the prevention of varicose veins and edema of the legs, as well as just good health, pregnant women can wear compression stockings or tights.
During childbearing, many women also complain of swelling of the hands and fingers: at the same time the limbs become numb, there is pain in the wrist, the pregnant woman feels an unpleasant tingling in her fingers, and wearing jewelry is out of the question.
This condition is most often seen in women whose work is associated with "manual" work: knitting, sewing, modeling, computer work. In case of swelling of the hands, gymnastics and warm-ups for fingers and wrists, which need to be done several times a day, also help.
Magnesium, vitamin E and special multivitamins for pregnant women also help to relieve swelling.
Types and stages of puffiness during pregnancy
Swelling in pregnant women can be explicit and hidden:
- the first are calledphysiologicaland they are visually noticeable: the face swells, the ankles swell, the hands grow numb, traces of socks appear on the legs, and the usual shoes become “small”;
- second -"Hidden"edema, which is indicated by an abnormal increase in body weight (more than 500 g per week).
There are several stages of edema in late pregnancy:
- "Normal"puffiness It is believed that during pregnancy a woman should not gain more than 10-13 kg (depending on height and build). After 28 weeks, the weekly weight gain of a pregnant woman should be no more than 350-500 g.
If the future mommy gains a little more weight than normal due to the retention of body fluids, such swelling will be considered “normal”. They usually do not affect the general condition of the pregnant woman, are localized in the ankle area, appear only in the evening, and by morning they disappear safely.
Such puffiness is not dangerous for the fetus and is “corrected” by adjusting nutrition and a light diet.
- swelling, the appearance of which wearshidden or swiftcharacter. Such swelling may not be visible to the naked eye, however, the weight of the pregnant woman is rapidly growing up. At this stage of the swelling, the arms, wrists, abdomen, lower back, face and neck may swell. If the swelling in the legs, arms or face is not pronounced, this may be a sign of the appearance of internal edema, which is already dangerous for the fetus.
- "Gestos"- the pathology of pregnancy, which consists in the formation of substances in the placenta, which literally "eats away" the vessels, make holes in them through which protein is washed out of the blood and enters the urine. Due to the fact that the vessels are dehydrated, a pregnant woman's blood pressure rises and blood clots, which often leads to thrombosis.
Gestos is also dangerous because it leads to edema of the placenta, impaired uteroplacental metabolism and deceleration of the intrauterine development of the fetus. With this type of swelling of a pregnant woman, mandatory hospitalization is indicated: patients are prescribed droppers to compensate for the lack of protein in the body.
Diet against edema in late pregnancy
When registering, each expectant mother receives recommendations from the doctor regarding the organization of her diet, which also include ways to avoid edema during pregnancy. Thirst during pregnancy is due to the natural increase in the body's need for fluid.
In this regard, to reduce the use of water can not, however, it is important to abandon harmful drinks, such as sweet juices and soda. To reduce edema, the followingprinciples of diet:
- drink more pure water and weak green tea;
- drink and eat often, but in small portions;
- remove from the menu, fast food products, smoked meat and other "hazards" that provoke thirst and appetite.
- reduce the amount of salt in the food, but to remove it from the diet altogether is not recommended;
- Ensure a diet rich in proteins that are necessary for the growing body of the baby: eat more cottage cheese, meat, fish and liver;
- Do not forget about complex carbohydrates and fiber: in the menu of the expectant mother must be present different types of cereals, as well as vegetables and fruits.
The basis of the diet against edema is a healthy, balanced diet; The total calorie content of foods should not exceed 3500 calories per day.
Treatment of edema: drinking regime and salt
In order to prevent swelling or get rid of them in the first stage, it is important to observe the proper drinking and salt regimes. Let's remember a few rules that will help prevent edema:
- in the third trimester, you need to pull yourself together and give up all sorts of pickles: they always provoke thirst, and salt does not allow the fluid to leave the body in a timely manner;
- if the tendency to swelling is obvious, you need to slightly limit fluid intake: drink no more than 1-1.5 liters of water a day, a few sips, every 30-40 minutes;
- to quench your thirst, you do not need to increase the amount of water consumed, but add fresh lemon juice to it;
- perfectly quenches thirst decoction of wild rose and cranberry juice, tomato juice (without salt!) and herbal decoctions;
- if physical exertion provokes a desire to constantly drink, it is better to reduce them a little, and also try to be less in stuffy places and under the open sun.
Folk remedies for edema during pregnancy: homeopathy with a diuretic effect
Medication diuretic drugs for edema in pregnant women is usually not encouraged by doctors, as it can cause an increase in blood pressure in pregnant women, dizziness and nausea, as well as various pathologies of fetal development. Therefore, many pregnant women resort to “folk” therapy, which has many recipes that cause a diuretic effect:
- it is possible to eliminate edema by regularly taking the preparations of medicinal diuretic herbs: leaves of lingonberry, hawthorn, horsetail or bearberry;
- decoction of dried apricots, taken half an hour before a meal will help the fluid to leave the body in a timely manner;
- an infusion of knotweed and birch leaves, taken twice a day, will relieve swelling (1 tbsp of the mixture of herbs is poured with a glass of water and boiled for 15 minutes, then infused for 2 hours);
- natural diuretics are watermelons, melons, parsley, cucumbers and tomatoes: leaning on these foods can make the kidneys work even better.
Massage and baths for leg edema during pregnancy
Baths with cool water are a good way to get rid of swelling during pregnancy. The temperature of the water should not be too cold: 22-23 degrees; If you add a pre-brewed relaxing herbal tea in such a bath, you can achieve even greater effect.
After doing the bath, you need to lie down and rest a little on your side, raising your legs or putting them on a pillow, and then make a light foot massage with smooth rubbing, circular movements. A proper massage will improve blood circulation and help the veins cope with its stagnation.
Medications for edema during pregnancy
Drugs for edema during pregnancy should have a diureticmeans. Such drugs can be natural and synthetic. Most of the latter are strictly forbidden to expectant mothers.
Taking such drugs as Hypothiazide, Furosemide, Dichlothiazide, Theobromine, Triamteren can not only worsen the general condition of the pregnant, but also affect the health of the baby.
Abuse of these drugs can cause defects in the organs of vision and hearing in an infant, disrupt the functioning of its liver, and cause the development of tachycardia and renal failure.
Before taking this or that drug for edema, it is important to consult a doctor. Most often, pregnant women are prescribed:
- Canephron - a preparation based on rosemary and lovage, which has anti-inflammatory, diuretic and antiseptic effects;
- Phytolysin, which is “assembled” from a variety of herbs and oils; helps women without visible inflammatory processes;
- aminophylline - has a good diuretic effect, however, is contraindicated in heart disease and hypotension.
Intake of lipoic acid and vitamin E serve as an excellent prevention of gestos and reduce the likelihood of hidden edema.
Canephron in pregnancy from edema: instructions and reviews
Canephron is a remedy of plant origin and effectively reduces puffiness during pregnancy.
Available in the form of dragee, and in the form of alcohol drops. Its action is based on:
- reducing the permeability of the capillaries of the kidneys;
- noticeable diuretic action;
- increased kidney function;
- antiseptic and antispasmodic effects.
Usually gynecologists prescribe cannephron to their patients (regardless of the duration of pregnancy), indicating the most effective form and dosage of the drug in the prescription. Pharmacies most often offer cannephron in the form of drops in a bottle of 100 ml or in the form of drops, 50 pieces per pack.
Variants of the drug for pregnant women:
- 2 tablets twice daily before meals;
- 20-30 drops 3 times a day or 50 drops 2 times a day.
Judging by the reviews of the drug Canephron, it has practically no contraindications and produces a noticeable diuretic effect. When consuming canephron, one should not forget to drink clean water - this will only enhance the effect of the remedy.
Cream for pregnant women from edema, varicose veins and fatigue
Along with folk remedies and medicines, creams and ointments for edema andvaricose veins during pregnancy. The most effective and popular creams today are:
- Troxevasin ointment- It has an excellent absorbing effect, is indispensable for the symptoms of thrombosis, reduces capillary fragility;
- Varikobuster- gives an anesthetic effect, activates blood circulation and eliminates puffiness;
- Varicose veins- unique in its composition natural cream for varicose veins; reduces blood clotting, has an analgesic effect, eliminates fatigue;
- Heparin ointment- neutralizes inflammation, prevents the occurrence of blood clots, activates blood circulation;
To date, various Chinese creams for varicose veins and puffiness are actively used, which stimulate metabolic processes and have a beneficial effect on blood vessels in general.Not less popular andhorse chestnut extract creamwhich, by reducing the degree of blood clotting, eliminates the likelihood of blood clots and edema during pregnancy.
This drug can be called the most effective cream for varicose veins, as it significantly increases the strength of blood vessels and their tone, prevents stagnation and eliminates fatigue.
And yet the greatest effect in combating edema can be achieved by combining several methods to eliminate them: follow a light diet, adhere to the optimal drinking regimen and use suitable diuretic drugs, after consulting a doctor.