DIY bookOctober 9, 2013
Despite the popularity of e-books and a large variety of bookstores, book publishing is still relevant. There are people who enjoy the creation of books - real, paper and bound. Also information on how to make a book is useful to those who wish to make a notebook or diary with their own hands. Such things with accurate performance will be original and beautiful.
It is not difficult to make a full-fledged book with binding and hard cover, but this work is painstaking and requires attention and time.
For a homemade book, you will need a stack of paper (sheets 40) of the same size. It should not be very thin, you can take textured paper.
How to make a book with your own hands
- Paper sheets take 3-4 and bend exactly in the middle. This is done with all sheets by grouping them into 3 pieces.
- From the bent sheets form a stack and fasten it with clothespins or clips so that the pages do not move.
- Next comes the book stitching, but before that, on the back of the future book, you need to make cuts that will determine the stitching points. The cut intervals can be any, but they should not be too long.The cuts are made with a regular or clerical knife.
- The clips are removed from the stack. Each group of sheets is unrolled and sewn with a thick needle with a strong thread.
- From the side of the spine they thread a needle with a thread and make a stitch along the intended marks. A needle is pulled to the wrong side (from the side of the spine) of a future book. For greater strength, the same stitch must be done several times.
- After that, the paper is pierced with a needle from the inside of the seam to the front of the next incision. In this way, all stitches are performed. It is important to fasten the thread well at the end of the seam - to do this, thread the needles with the thread several times through the sewn stitches so that at the end there is an eyelet, and thread the thread into it, pulling it tight. The thread must be taken longer, so that it is enough to stitch all groups of sheets.
- So fasten all groups of sheets and form an even stack of them. It is fastened with clips, putting a thick cardboard under them - this is done so that there are no dents on the paper on the clothespins.
- After that, proceed to stitching the book. A needle and thread are threaded through the stitches on the grouped sheets in random order. In order for the sheets to join firmly, the thread must be tightened stronger.
- The connecting seam is laid in one direction and back, and for greater strength of the book, you can make two (or even three) passes.
- After stitching, pour the spine with glue. It is better to use for this rubber glue, which has greater elasticity. For drying, the spine is left overnight, but it is possible for a day.
- After drying the spine, they remove the clips from the book and trim the edges of the pages or leave them as they are - this gives the books and notebooks an original look. If, however, it is decided to cut the sheets, then the excess edge should be at least 5 mm wide, otherwise it will be difficult to cut it off. For cutting use an iron ruler and a sharp stationery knife (its blades must be periodically broken off so that it remains sharp). When cutting a book, it is not necessary to press the stationery knife too hard. Thus it is possible to trim all three sides of the book.
- If you wish, you can toned a book cut with silver or gold paint - this decorative effect looks very beautiful. To do this, a small amount of paint is collected on the finger and rubbed into the book section, distributing it so that there are no lumps and clots of paint.After this, it is necessary to divide the glued pages - the book is browsed several times.
- Now you can start making the cover. First, determine its size - add 5 mm from each edge of the book except the side of the spine. On the front and back side of the cover you need two identical rectangles. To determine the binding spine, measure the width of an already made spine and subtract 4-5 mm from it. The length of the spine should be the same as the two large parts of the cover. Fabric, which is covered with a cardboard frame, should be dense and not stretching. It is better to iron it, and then lay out cardboard parts on it on the wrong side of the fabric so that there is a 5 mm indent between all the details.
- Along the perimeter of the fabric leave 2 cm for the hem. The back of the cardboard cover is glued to the fabric with the entire plane, and the front and back sides are also glued in several places so that the fabric does not bristle. Then begin to bend the fabric and glue it on the lower and upper sides. It is important to observe the same tension so that the cover does not twist. If a light fabric is chosen for the cover, then the cardboard for the cover should also be taken in plain color or turned back inwards so that it does not shine through the fabric.Before pasting the right and left sides of the cover, the corners of the fabric are carefully wrapped. You can fold the corners of the fabric in half and iron them in with an iron so that they do not bristle.
- Then they tuck the remaining sides of the cover and glue them around the perimeter to the cardboard frame.
- Outside the cover should be smooth, without folds and wrinkles, not overtightened, and the fabric should firmly hold on the fold and in the corners.
- To glue the cover to the stitched sheets, the first and last pages are glued around the perimeter and the root is glued over the entire surface with glue. After that, the stitched sheets are placed in the cover (at the same time checking the flatness of the arrangement) and the closed book is placed under the press at night or for a day.
- If you wish, you can stick a bookmark to the sheets before gluing the sheets with the cover to the back cover - it can be a ribbon or a tape.
Now the book is ready and you can leave it as it is, or you can additionally decorate it. If the cover of the book is bright, then additional decoration is not needed, and in the case of a plain cover it can be decorated with a pattern, embroidery, applique, etc.