Attic insulationMarch 28, 2010
Owners of private houses with a large under-roofing space should think about creating and warming an attic instead of a loft with old things. In this article we will discuss the insulation of the pitched roof.
Warming the under-roof space solves two problems at once - the expansion of living space and the reduction of heating costs for a house. Of course, it will be necessary to solve a number of issues. One of them - is the placement of all those things that are in the attic - something will shift to another place, but something will have to throw. In the case of a low roof and sharp angles of the roof will have to expand the space, lifting one of the roof slopes and leaving a small angle to drain rainwater. In connection with the additional load on the roof arising in such a case, you should carefully select the section and step of the rafter, and choose the most reliable and durable option for the roofing material, for example, shingles with an additional waterproofing layer.Visit the domoz website and select various types of OSB slabs that you will find very useful for filing from inside your roof after it is warmed with mineral wool.
Features of the construction of the attic
In the freed under-roof space, it will be necessary to build a wooden frame structure. You can entrust these works to a carpenter, or you can try it yourself. With some experience and a set of necessary tools, everything should work out.
The rafters of the new stingray rest on the transverse beam of the wooden structure, the other side of which is fastened with metal clamps to the ridge mauerlat. For the flooring of the roof using wooden boards, which for durability impregnate with an antiseptic. In the future room it is recommended to install metal-plastic windows, which not only provide good lighting, but also save heat. Recently, not only plastic, but also wooden windows have been equipped with energy-saving packages. The last option will be more expensive, but you will be surrounded only by natural materials, which is often sought in country houses. You can also make the windows warming with your own hands, if you do not want or there is no possibility to put the glass packs.
The side opposite to the windows is not reworked; here, after repair, low furniture and decorative elements are usually located. Before starting work, it is better to think over all the nuances in advance and make a sketch of the future attic. Further, it all depends on the accuracy of the calculations and the technical conformity of the details.
Purchase of materials for attic insulation should be carried out after measuring all the necessary distances and the area of insulation, the dimensions are slightly rounded upwards. It is necessary to consider the footage of materials in the package and their multiplicity. Before visiting the store, it is better to make a few sketches with the most important dimensions and features of some of the details; they will be useful to you both for purchase and for work.
For attic insulation, mineral wool materials based on basalt with a density of 18-45 kg / m3 are used. This non-combustible and environmentally friendly material is absolutely safe for humans, it is not eaten by rodents and absorbs noise well.
Before starting work, make space for working with materials. Heat-insulating materials are supplied in vacuum packages and, after opening, should increase several times, taking in air between the fibers and reaching the thickness indicated on the package.The room where the mineral wool insulation will be cut should be well ventilated, and workers should use respirators and goggles, preferably use gloves and protective clothing.
To glue the vapor barrier film, you need to stock up with construction tape or K2 butyl tape. If foil film is used, then the tape should be taken foil.
After insulation, wiring is made, installation of the heating system, erection of partitions and finishing works.
The order of work when we warm the attic
- With the help of a long aluminum profile, we check the correct location of the rafters. To do this, we rely on the profile of the extreme rafters, with proper installation, all the rafters between them should also touch the profile.
- Measure the gaps between the rafters in at least two places. This will avoid cases where the insulation will not touch the rafters.
- Cut the insulating material into pieces of the required size, adding 2 centimeters. Thus, the insulation will independently hold between the rafters due to elasticity and friction.
- Squeeze a little insulation board and insert between the rafters. It should not wrinkle or wrinkle.
- We fill all places of the frame with insulation, avoiding gaps even in hard-to-reach places.
- Fill the sealant with a sealant between the extreme rafter and the wall.
- From the inside of the roof slope we stretch the vapor barrier film.
- Level the film and fix it with staples using the construction stapler at short intervals.
- Since the width of the film on the entire wall is not enough, we fix the second strip with an overlap from the first one by at least 10 cm.
- The line of connection of the films is glued with a special tape (ordinary cattle can not be used). If necessary, glue again.
- Around the window niches we also build a frame of wooden bars with a pitch of 40-60 cm. Vertical bars are fastened with screws to the side wall, and then fixed under them at an angle bar base, which will also be a place for joining gypsum board and attaching the film.
- Fill the frame pieces of insulation, repeating the steps described above.
- Again, use the film on the slopes and side walls, so that it covers the entire insulation.
- On the front side, a metal frame is assembled from a drywall profile, retreating slightly from the outer wall, which will allow the insulation material to be laid using the two-layer method.
- Fix the vertical racks of profiles at a distance of 50 cm. Lay the first insulating plate and clamp it behind the racks.
- The second slab is inserted between the frame posts.
- Fasten to the metal frame and the floor vapor barrier rack, pre-cleaned the surface from dust.
- For fixing the film, we use a special glue for the gun and insulating tape. When drywall is installed, the screws will provide additional fastening.